Virtual Career Fair
The NCA Fall Virtual Job & Internship Fair will be held on September 29 & 30, 2021
- Day 1 (Wednesday, September 29): Employers hiring Full-Time roles
- Day 2 (Thursday, September 30): Employers hiring Internship roles
The Virtual Fair will take place within Handshake.
Undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars and Northwestern alumni with a Handshake account are able to participate. Alumni and postdocs without a Handshake account must request one a few days in advance in order to have the account created in time for participation in the fair.
Registration for the virtual fair will open on Tuesday, September 7, 2021. To register, log in to Handshake and then select Events > Career Fair. Registration is required to participate in the virtual fair.
During the fair, you will engage with employers through group and one-on-one sessions. Employers have the option to choose one or both types of sessions depending on their recruiting needs. Sign up for sessions will be available when registration opens on September 7.
Group Sessions are 30 minutes in length and will provide you with the opportunity to learn from employer representatives and ask questions. Any interested student can join a group session.
One-on-one sessions are 10 minutes in length and will allow you to have an individual conversation with an employer representative. You can sign up or be invited by a recruiter to participate in a one-on-one session.
NCA employer events are business casual so you are not required to wear a suit or formal business attire during the virtual fair. Consider wearing a top that appears neat and professional on camera, like a button-down shirt, blouse, cardigan or long-sleeved shirt in a solid color. Avoid items with graphics, logos, and pajamas.
How to prepare
Here are a few tips as you prepare for the virtual career fair:
- NCA has prepared a comprehensive workshop to guide your preparation for the virtual career fair. Dates can be found in Handshake > Events. If you miss the live workshops, a recording can be found in the Handshake Resource Library under Career Center > Resources > NCA Webinar Recordings.
- Recruiters will have access to your Handshake profile so make sure to update it prior to the fair. Also make change your privacy settings to “Community” or “Employers” to allow employers to see your profile.
- Upload a resume to your profile for employers to access. Polish your resume by utilizing VMock.
- How to prepare for Virtual Career Fair Sessions provides helpful tips to prepare for employer conversations during the fair. The one-on-one session is your opportunity to share your qualifications and interest with a potential employer. Meet with an NCA career adviser to practice your professional introduction and common questions you may be asked during the conversation.
- Employers can register to participate up to the day of the fair. Continue to review the list of participating employers for new additions in your fields of interest in order to sign up for group and 1:1 sessions.
We also recommend that you check out these helpful articles from Handshake as you prepare for the fair:
Handshake’s Guide to Attending a Virtual Fair
Virtual Career Fairs are Here! Next Stop: Getting Hired
Attending a Virtual Career Fair? Here are 10 Tips you Need to Know