Career Research & Preparation Resources
Firsthand (formerly known as Vault)
- Firsthand is a career engagement platform that empowers career seekers by providing powerful insights, unique resources, and impactful relationships so that you can discover your best next step. All of the invaluable resources that vault.com provided are still within Firsthand - premier employer profiles, rankings and reviews, field of study/occupational insights and guides,and career preparedness training and materials. (Note: Registration using Northwestern email address is required for access)
- VMock provides Northwestern undergraduate and masters students with instant and personalized guidance for improving resumes and LinkedIn profiles.
- Glassdoor is a database of employer reviews, salary reports, interview questions and more with information is provided by current and former employees.
NCA Career Guide
- The NCA Career Guide (PDF) is your go-to resource for information on networking, exploring careers, the job/internship search, resume samples, cover letter writing and more.
Internship Credit/Transcript Recognition
- Explore this list of programs for students to receive credit and/or transcript recognition for internships.
Networking & Informational Interviewing Resources
- Our Northwestern is the online hub for Northwestern alumni. Search the directory to find alumni by name, class year, school, degree, industry, employer, or keyword that you can connect with for networking and informational interviews.
- Leverage LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network, to build relationships and connect with Northwestern alumni and other professionals.
Northwestern Network Mentorship Program
- Request an alumni mentor through the Northwestern Network Mentorship Program that can provide valuable support and guidance for navigating your career.
International Career Resources
- GoinGlobal helps new and experienced job seekers find opportunities both at home and abroad.
- InitialView allows students to apply to jobs in China and is a great resource for Chinese students who are seeking to return home.
International Student Career Planning Guide
- The International Student Career Planning Guide (PDF) provides tips and advice on how to navigate the U.S. job internship search process, and helpful Northwestern resources. This guide is a joint collaboration between Northwestern Career Advancement, Engineering Career Development, Medill Career Services, School of Communication – EPICS, Chicago Field Studies, and the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISS).
PhD Career Development Resources
- ImaginePhD is a free online career exploration and planning tool for PhD students and postdoctoral scholars in the humanities and social sciences. Users can assess their career-related skills, interests, and values; explore careers paths appropriate to their disciplines; create self-defined goals; and map out next steps for career and professional development success.
- myIDP is a unique, web-based career-planning tool tailored to meet the needs of PhD students and postdocs in the sciences. It provides exercises to help you examine your skills, interests, and values; a list of 20 scientific career paths with a prediction of which ones best fit your skills and interests; a tool for setting strategic goals for the coming year, with optional reminders to keep you on track; articles and resources to guide you through the process.
Aurora by Beyond the Professoriate
- Aurora is an e-learning platform where graduate students can explore career options and learn job search strategies to secure employment in academia and beyond. Through two programs of study in Aurora – Faculty Careers and Professional Careers – students are empowered to make informed decisions about their career path and learn successful job search strategies from other PhDs.
NCA maintains subscriptions for the paid resources below to support free use by students. Login information for these resources can be found in Handshake under Career Center > Resources > Northwestern Student Resources.
- New England Conservatory's Bridge: Worldwide Music Connection provides you with access to over 3,000 opportunities in music and arts administration, including auditions, teaching positions, administrative positions, competitions, grants, scholarships, and festivals to take your music career to the next level.
US News Education
- U.S. News & World Report is a publisher of news and information, which includes annual rankings of Best Colleges and Best Graduate Schools.
- CaseCoach is the leading online case interview prep platform, created by former McKinsey interviewers and headhunters. CaseCoach provides everything you need to prepare for case study interviews used by top consulting firms and other employers.
- Daybook is the leading job search resource for political, policy, non-profit and remote jobs.