The Career Ambassador Program
The Career Ambassadors (CAs) serve as a bridge between Northwestern Career Advancement and the Northwestern University undergraduate student population. CAs are trained to advise fellow students on quick career related concerns in a variety of setting including NCA express advising, walk-in hours and campus outreach presentations.
2021-2022 CA Mission Statement:
"NCA Career Ambassadors will provide career related knowledge and resources for the Northwestern student community. CAs will embody empathy and respect to create an inclusive and transparent space for all students seeking career advising."
Program Description and Responsibilities
What Do Career Ambassadors Do?
- Advise students during walk-in hours on NCA services and resources, resume construction and editing, and other career-related inquiries.
- Conduct outreach presentations on topics such as resume writing, interviewing skills, internship and job searching, and networking.
- Staff NCA events and support employer and alumni guests.
- Contribute to social media and marketing activities for NCA.
- Complete a project on a career or student development related topic.
Walk-in Hours & Outreach Presentations
Career Ambassadors provide quick resume and cover letter feedback at NCA express advising in the library Core and walk-in hours at various locations across campus during the fall, winter and spring academic quarters. Visit the Meet with Us page for the current Career Ambassador Express Advising schedule.
If you would like a CA to come speak with your group, please complete the outreach request form. Presentation content is personalized to each group request.
Joining the Career Ambassador Program
Hiring typically takes place once per academic year for the CA program. If you are interested in learning more about the program and how to apply, please contact Taylor Kinn.
Those who participate in the CA program not only learn to support their peers’ career development and development as CAs, but are also provided the opportunity to develop in relation to their own personal career goals. CAs build transferable skills that will help them in future experiences and set regular goals. While learning the ins and outs of NCA, CAs build relationships with our staff who are invested in their personal success. Some transferable skills CAs have utilized or gained include:
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Initiative and creativity
- Organization and project management
- Flexibility and adaptability