Northwestern is concerned about the safety and well-being of it's international travelers. To support travelers, the Office of Global Safety and Security’s website provides information on travel health, safety and security including:
- Information about GeoBlue, Northwestern's business traveler insurance plan, which automatically covers most employees when traveling abroad on university business. Review GeoBlue for Employees for eligibility, benefits and exclusions. Employees are strongly encouraged to complete a one-time registration to obtain access to overseas resources and expedite claims.
- Timely information in the event of emergencies abroad including the 911 equivalent for your destination documented by the U.S. Department of State.
- Advice on maintaining good health abroad including topics such as immunizations, traveling with medications, managing pre-existing conditions, routine care abroad, reimbursement for care, see Travel Health.
- Security information resources from Crisis24/Drum Cussac for to learn about safety risks, plus links to sign up for the U.S. DOS Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts from the nearest embassy or consulate regarding road closures, transportation strikes, civil unrest, and more.
- Guidance for faculty and staff leading or organizing student trips abroad including a faculty/staff checklist, information on mandatory pre-departure training and incident reporting.
For questions or concerns about international travel health, safety, or security, contact the staff of the OGSS.