In the case of a medical emergency:
- The traveler should go to the nearest clinic or hospital.
- Call GeoBlue, Northwestern’s medical insurance/assistance provider, at their 24/7 emergency assistance line: +1 (610) 254-8771. You can call collect.
- Provide GeoBlue with the traveler’s name, policy number (if available), and the address and phone number of the hospital or medical facility
- GeoBlue will monitor your case closely to determine if medical care is appropriate and adequate local resources are available
- Often, GeoBlue can arrange for Direct Pay to the medical facility for treatment. If they cannot directly pay the medical facility, the traveler will be reimbursed for the cost of treatment
- Students studying abroad should notify their program/resident director as soon as possible.
- If there is no on-site staff associated with the program or the patient is traveling independent of a group, call Northwestern University Police 24/7 at (847) 491-3456. The duty officer will locate the Director of Global Safety and Security (or her back-up), who will return the call.
Learn more about accessing medical care abroad on the Accessing care abroad page.