Frequently Asked Questions
Jump to a question:
- How do I have a purchase order resent?
- Where can I find a tax-exempt certificate?
- Who is responsible for completing credit applications received from vendors?
- I'm having trouble logging in to iBuyNU, NUFinancials, etc. What should I do?
- What is the proper procedure if I have a contract that needs to be signed?
- What is the time frame between approval of a requisition and the creation of a purchase order?
- Where can I locate a W-9 form to be sent to a vendor?
- What is the procedure for entering a new vendor in the system?
- How do I make a change to a purchase order?
- How do I create or modify a ship to code?
- Where can I find the Conflict of Interest Form?
- Where can I find Purchasing and Payments training?
- How do I obtain an SSJ or BD form?
Contact Procurement and Payment Services at email@example.com with your request. Make sure to include the PO number, vendor name and vendor fax number or email address.
Procurement and Payment Services keeps information related to Northwestern’s tax-exempt status in Illinois as well as several other states on file. If a department/school needs proof of Northwestern’s tax-exempt status, please adhere to the following:
- An official Purchase Order should be issued to vendors for University purchases. It references the standard NU Purchase Order terms which includes tax-exempt information.
- Many vendors will accept an Illinois Tax-Exempt One Time Use Letter for individual purchases, which includes appropriate approval information.
- Procurement and Payment Services can send the official Illinois Tax-Exempt Certificate (or the official certificate from other states where NU is tax-exempt) directly to vendors that do not accept either of the above. Procurement and Payment Services does not provide the official Illinois tax-exempt letter to departments/schools. For more information, contact Procurement and Payment Services at 1-8120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is against University Policy to complete/sign any vendor forms. Forward any credit application requests to email@example.com. Procurement and Payment Services will send the necessary information directly to the vendor.
For any financial management system related questions, please contact the Help Desk at 1-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
End users within departments/schools typically do NOT have the authority to sign ANY contracts or agreements with outside parties in the name of the University or one of its departments/schools.
Contracts and agreements of $25,000 or more that need to be signed by the University MUST be reviewed by the Office of General Counsel (OGC). Once the contract/agreement is reviewed and approved, it will be forwarded to the appropriate officer of the University for signature.
The system automatically sources all fully approved and budget checked requisitions into purchase orders every two hours (8am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm). For example, if a requisition is created at 8:30am, approved and budget checked at 9am, it will be sourced into a Purchase Order and be sent to the vendor at 10am.
Accounting Services handles all W-9 information. Contact Veronica Hudgins at 1-5337 or email@example.com.
New vendors can be added in NUFinancials under Navigator under Suppliers > Supplier Registration. For assistance, contact Vendor File Management at 1-4707.
Changes can be made to a PO in NUFinancial through Navigator > Purchasing > Purchase Orders > Add/Update POs.
Closing or canceling a PO can be done through NUFiancials> My Forms tile> Fill out new form > PO Change Request.
For assistance, contact Procurement and Payment Services at 1-8120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please fill out the Ship to Request/Change Form (pdf). A complete list of active ship to codes (pdf) is also listed on this website. Email the completed form to email@example.com or fax to 847-467-5400.
11. Where can I find the Conflict of Interest Form?
For an SSJ or BD document, you will use the Purchasing Decision Documentation form (URL). This is an interactive form that populates a BD or SSJ upon completion. For assistance in completing the form, please reference the Purchasing Decision Documentation job-aid.