Northwestern has negotiated rates with many hotels located near the Chicago and Evanston campuses. Northwestern also offers discounted extended stay rates for visiting professors or other guests of Northwestern. Please see the Guest Travel page for more information on guest travel.
All short-term hotels with negotiated rates accept direct billing upon request to Northwestern departments/units on behalf of their guests to ensure guests do not have to provide payment. Guests may need to provide a personal credit card to the hotel for personal, incidental charges.
For a list of all hotels with negotiated rates and hotel contact information, please visit the Hotel Rates page.
Book a Local Hotel
Faculty and staff have two options for booking Northwestern local hotels with negotiated rates:
- Call hotel directly: All of Northwestern's local hotels with negotiated rates, including extended stay hotels, can be booked and billed via invoice by contacting the hotel directly. Please make sure to request the Northwestern University rate when making reservations.
- Book hotel through Egencia: All of Northwestern's local hotels with negotiated rates, except extended stay hotels, can be booked and directly billed to a department/unit chart string through Egencia's Online Booking Tool. These negotiated rate hotels will be tagged within Egencia as Northwestern properties. For information on how to directly bill hotels, please follow the guidance provided on the Hotels page.
For more information on booking hotels through Egencia, please visit the Egencia page.
Please note that Northwestern's local hotels with negotiated rates can also be booked through either of Northwestern's brick and mortar travel agencies; however, direct billing is not available.
Information about Negotiated Hotel Rates
Please note that Northwestern's negotiated rates may not always be available during peak travel dates or special events.
Northwestern travelers should also note the following:
- To receive Northwestern's discounted rates, you may be required to provide your Wildcard.
- Northwestern is not responsible for changes to a hotel's rates. Please confirm rates with the hotel before making reservations.
- Hotel rates are based on availability.
- Blackout dates may apply, especially during holidays, peak travel seasons, and special events (such as Northwestern graduation).
- Hotel rates are subject to applicable taxes. Hotel rates are subject to applicable taxes. Please note that while Northwestern is exempt from sales taxes, the University is not exempt from many taxes associated with travel and conferences, including food and lodging taxes on hotel rooms and meals.
- Listed rates are applicable for the current year unless noted otherwise.
About group rates for Chicago hotels:
- The rates listed may not be available for group events or during citywide blackouts.
- The hotel may be able to offer the negotiated rate for a group event, based on availability.
- If the negotiated rate cannot be offered for a group event (due to timing or because of a citywide blackout), University travelers will still be offered a preferred rate, to be determined based on availability. Contact the hotel's Account Representative for details.
All local hotels with Negotiated Rates accept requests for direct billing (via invoice) to University departments/units.
If you require direct billing for a hotel that is not on the above list:
- Contact Procurement and Payment Services (PPS) for assistance. PPS will submit all appropriate paperwork to the hotel, so they will handle the transaction as a direct bill and waive appropriate taxes. Contact PPS via phone (847-491-8120), email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (847-467-5400).
- Once all of the appropriate paperwork is completed to PPS, submit the Hotel Reservation Agreement form to the hotel to make the reservation.