Vendor Code of Conduct
Vendors doing business with the University are expected to adhere to the following Vendor Code of Conduct:
- All purchases of goods and services from outside vendors are to be preceded by the issuance of an official Purchase Order generated by NUFinancials that is then provided to the vendor. An official Purchase Order begins with the prefix PUR and includes the signature of the Director of Procurement and Payment Services.
- All invoices should be sent directly to Accounts Payable. Invoices should not be sent until after the product has been shipped or the service has been performed and must reference the appropriate PUR number. Accounts Payable will make sure departments/schools receive a copy of invoices whenever their approval is required prior to payment.
- The term Preferred Vendor at Northwestern is reserved only for those vendors that Procurement and Payment Services has established a formal contract or agreement with on behalf of the University.
- The appropriate way to conduct business with Northwestern University is to call and schedule an appointment prior to visiting a particular department or school.
- It is inappropriate for a vendor to make a donation of any sort to a department/school that may influence a future purchasing decision. In addition, Northwestern students and student organizations have no authority to commit the University to the purchase of any product or service.
- Procurement and Payment Services reserves the right to request a detailed spend report from any vendor registered in the Northwestern financial system. Requested reports must be provided in a timely manner.
- Procurement and Payment Services reserves the right to utilize third party benchmarking services when analyzing proposals and quotes submitted by vendors.
- Procurement and Payment Services strongly discourages significant marketing efforts directed at departments and schools where a Preferred Vendor contract already exists.
The University reserves the right to withhold payment or inactivate a vendor in NUFinancials if they do not abide by the above.