Accounts Payable Services
Accounts Payable Customer Service: 847.491.7339
The Financial Operations Policies and Procedures website hosts detailed guidance on policies and processes related to Accounts Payable services. For assistance in determining payment methods see the Purchasing and Payment Quick Reference Guide. Employees are also encouraged to view the Purchasing and Payments Online Module and reference related Process Maps for further guidance.
Accounts Payable provides disbursement functions for Northwestern, in compliance with University policies, as well as federal and state regulatory requirements. These services include:
Invoice Processing – Payments for Goods and Services
- Responsible for receiving and tracking of inbound invoices received from vendors in return for goods and services
- Responsible for the verification and inputting of invoice data, payment scheduling, and management of daily check processing
Miscellaneous authorized expenses
View Reimbursing University Employees Process Map
Checks - Stop Payments, Reissues, Holds, Enclosures
Responsible for stop-payments and/or reissues of lost or expired checks.
Provides support for items requiring special or priority
Responsible for final approval and processing of Payment Requests. There are three types of Payment Requests:
- Direct Payment Requests (DPR) – requests for payments not requiring a PO – Examples: subscription renewals, membership dues, conference fees
- Contracted Services Forms (CSF) – payment to individuals for services
- Visitors Expense Reports (VER) – reimbursements of approved expenses incurred by University guests
View Visitor Travel & Entertainment Process Map
View Purchasing using a Direct Payment Request Process Map
Responsible for processing credit transactions. The credited funds are returned to departmental
Responsible for electronic payments
Domestic wire transfers
- International wire transfers
- In US dollars
- In local currencies
Document Imaging & Indexing
Responsible for creating and indexing electronic images of invoices and other documentation, making them easy to access and retrieve.
Users can view images of invoices processed by Accounts Payable from the Voucher Document Status pages in NUFinancials. Images for Expense Reports and Payment Requests remain available on their respective pages.
The navigation to view invoices in NUFinancials is below:
- Accounts Payable > Review Accounts Payable Information > Vouchers > Document Status > Voucher Document Status Inquiry (enter Voucher number here) > View Invoice
Should you have any questions or concerns contact Gary Ernsteen at 847.491.2781 or by email at email@example.com.