Skip to main content

Faculty and Staff Travel Policies

In general, Northwestern does not regulate the international travel of its faculty or staff. Travel is permissible when it applies to activities related to the University’s mission and / or the traveler’s employment such as research or teaching, recruitment, admissions testing, fundraising, or other purpose as identified by the unit director, dean or department chair. Northwestern strongly recommends that all travel for university purposes be booked through a prefer­red provider. Advantages associated with these services include direct billing via chart string, discounted air and hotel fares and traveler assistance when plans change.

Read more information on the following subjects:

Advising / Sponsoring Student Travel

Faculty or staff who provide or manage funds in support of international travel or serve in an advisory capacity for students engaging in other types of international travel, including research, conference attendance, performance, competition or service / volunteering, should review the applicable policies and resources below. If you are unsure about whether the travel is university-sponsored, read the definitions for undergraduates and graduate students.

Northwestern strongly encourages schools, units and departments that fund independent international travel to tie disbursement or reimbursement to proof of enrollment in the International Travel Registry (ITR).

Note that students traveling as part of a group will be invited to engage with the ITR once a Trip Leader creates the trip. Only independent travelers “self-enroll.”

The OGSS also offers periodic “First Responder Training” training for those who do not travel, but may be the recipient of communications regarding an emergency need abroad. Register for an upcoming session through the OGSS Events webpage.

Emergencies / Incident Reporting

If a student, faculty or staff member contacts you for assistance abroad, review and share the Emergencies Abroad page. If the traveler requires immediate assistance, contact the Northwestern Police at (847) 491-3456. OGSS’s on-call staff will coordinate a response with the unit or department sponsoring travel.

Export Controls / International Compliance

Northwestern's Export Controls and International Compliance (ECIC) assists investigators to comply with export control laws; however, the primary responsibility rests with the person engaged in exporting activities. Researchers must understand and adhere to their obligations under federal export controls regulations. The consequences for violating these regulations can be severe, including significant monetary, civil and/or criminal penalties. Contact ECIC with any questions or concerns.

High Risk Destinations

Twenty-two countries considered high-risk by our security assistance provider require pre-travel disclosure. Most of these countries are conflict and post-conflict zones not frequented by Northwestern travelers. See Evacuation for more information.

In February 2022, our security assistance provider suspended evacuation coverage to Belarus, Russia and Ukraine. Travel to these countries by faculty, staff and graduate students should be postponed if possible. (Travel by undergraduates is prohibited without exception.) If travel must occur to these locations, contact OGSS to engage in risk assessment and emergency planning.

International Health Insurance

Full-time, benefit-eligible faculty and staff who travel internationally on Northwestern business are automatically covered by Northwestern's business travel insurance program provided by GeoBlue at no additional cost. It also covers any spouse/partner or dependents who may accompany you while traveling on university business. For more information about registration, plan coverage and limitations, go to GeoBlue for Employees. Such employees are also covered for political, security and natural disaster evacuation (PEND) through the Northwestern GeoBlue plan. 

Professional Development Opportunities

The OGSS also offers more in-depth, voluntary training called The Education Abroad Crisis Management Council (EACMC), a group of Northwestern employees that routinely support student, faculty or staff international travel who receive additional travel health and safety training as well as periodic “refresher” training. EACMC members may be called upon to lead or support travelers in crisis in collaboration with OGSS and other units on campus. 

Traveling Abroad with Students

Faculty or staff traveling on the same itinerary with three or more students is considered a group trip, which must be registered by a Trip Leader or Trip Organizer unless the trip is sponsored by the Global Learning Office. For guidance on planning group travel, see the Checklist for Group Travel Abroad which includes information about mandatory Trip Leader training.

Travel Safety & Security Information

Review Security Information Resources and sign up for safety messaging from the U.S. Department of State for your destination(s). (This service is also open to non-U.S. citizens.) For more in-depth travel security information, sign up for subject-specific alerts from our intelligence and assistance firm, Crisis24. Other topics, such as surveillance detection, terrorism, securing electronic devices and evacuation polices and procedure are covered on the Travel Security pages.

The Travel Safety section provides information about crime deterrence and evaluating accommodations as well as road, water and fire safety among other topics.