Welcome New Employees
Congratulations on your new position, and welcome to Northwestern University! You've picked a great place to work, and we are glad to have you here.
Keep in mind that onboarding is a process that takes several months. Take your time to get to know the lay of the land, both within your immediate work environment and the University as a whole. Take advantage of the many opportunities to network with fellow members of the Northwestern community; building relationships is key. Here are some of the first steps most University employees need to take to get started.
Below are forms to bring with you on your first day, and additional steps you'll need to review and complete prior to your arrival on campus.
- Personal Data Form
- Federal & State Tax Forms
- For Foreign Nationals, please visit the Tax Information for Foreign Nationals Page
- Complete I-9 Section 1 of the employment verification by going to the I-9 Service Center and following the instructions for new employees.
- Please select your School/Area and Department/Center that corresponds with your offer letter on the I-9 Service Center page.
- Remember to bring acceptable documentation with you on your first day to complete section 2.
- Activate your NetID (your electronic identity at Northwestern)
Parking and transit
- If interested in a monthly parking permit, please visit the parking website for more information
- Campus Maps for Evanston & Chicago
Your first day with Northwestern will start at the Human Resources office, followed by getting to know your new workplace. We encourage new employees and their managers to download the Onboarding Checklist for a successful transition into your new role.
- The following timeslots are available for onboarding: 9am or 11am.
- Human Resources is located at the following locations:
- Evanston HR Talent Acquisition Office: 1801 Maple Avenue, 6th Floor, Evanston, IL
- Chicago HR Talent Acquisition Office: 710 North Lake Shore Drive, Suite 150, Chicago, IL
Identity cards and accounts
- Obtain a WildCARD .Your employee ID number and a photo ID are required.
As you settle in to your new position, please take the time to attend the following in-person sessions and complete the online modules.
Orientations and training
- Find a date and attend New Employee Orientation Part 1 – Benefits Session (For Evanston campus Only)
- Register for New Employee Orientation Part 2 and attend within 90 days of starting
- Find a date and register online for New Employee Orientation Part 1 – Benefits Session (For Chicago campus only)
- View New Employee Orientation within 30 days of starting
- Preventing Sexual Misconduct and Sex Discrimination
- Introduction to University Business Processes
- In the myHR onboarding module, attest to the Staff Handbook
- Review and attest to the Policy on Reporting Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect
Familiarize yourself with the University
Training and development>
- myHR Learn is your source for learning and professional development. Sign up for workshops and other learning opportunities here
- Lynda.com and Northwestern University have partnered to offer University students, faculty and staff unlimited, on-demand access to a full library of online courses at no additional cost
- For a compiled list of Northwestern's system logins, please visit the System Directory
- Review and become familiar with the Conflict of Interest policy. Faculty and Staff are required to disclose annually
- Review the University Policies page for additional policy related information
- Visit Northwestern Public Events Calendar to fine happenings on campus
- To enhance your Northwestern experience, familiarize yourself and engage with Northwestern’s Staff Affinity Groups
- The Northwestern University Staff Advisory Council (NUSAC) serves as an advisory voice and change-agent for Northwestern staff in matters relating to community development, professional opportunities and workplace concerns