Welcome New Employees
Congratulations on your new position, and welcome to Northwestern University! You've picked a great place to work, and we are glad to have you here.
Keep in mind that onboarding is a process that takes several months. Take your time to get to know the lay of the land, both within your immediate work environment and the University as a whole. Take advantage of the many opportunities to network with fellow members of the Northwestern community; building relationships is key. Here are some of the first steps most University employees need to take to get started.
Below are forms that you'll need to complete and additional steps that you'll need to review prior to starting in your new position.
- Personal Data Form
- State Tax Form
- Employees working outside of Illinois must notify Human Resources to ensure the correct state withholding forms are submitted. Visit the Tax Information webpage for more details.
- Your Federal tax form should be completed electronically via your onboarding module in myHR. You will receive access to this module once your new position is processed in our system.
- For Foreign Nationals, please visit the Tax Information for Foreign Nationals Page
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Completion
- If you haven't yet completed I-9 Section 1, go to the I-9 Service Center and follow the instructions for new employees. Create an account and complete Section 1 prior to your first day of employment.
- Please select your School/Area and Department/Center that corresponds with your offer letter on the I-9 Service Center page.
- After completing Section 1, you must finish Section 2 of the I-9 by no later than the end of your third day of employment.
- Visit the Completing I-9 webpage for specifics about the required documents and to see the various ways to complete Section 2 in-person and remotely.
- If heading to our Evanston HR Office to complete I-9 Section-2, please note the building doors may be locked. Use your wildcard for building entrance or call the number listed on the front door for HR assistance.
- Activate your NetID (your electronic identity at Northwestern)
Parking and transit
- Regular/Part-Time staff working on the Evanston campus are eligible to request a free 5-day parking pass at HRTA@northwestern.edu for their first week. Please request prior to your first day and include your Name, Title, Department Name, and Employee ID if you have it.
- Please note: We are unable to provide temporary parking passes to Research staff including Post Docs and Faculty hires. Please reach out to your respective departments on parking options if aligned with either of these categories.
- If interested in obtaining a parking permit for the Evanston campus, please follow the link to our Evanston Parking page.
- If interested in a monthly parking permit for the Chicago campus, please follow the link to our Chicago Parking page.
- For Chicago daily parking pass validations, please visit here.
- Please note: We are unable to offer free parking on the Chicago campus to new hires.
- Campus Maps for Evanston & Chicago
- Frequently asked questions regarding parking on the Evanston and Chicago campuses
- For further assistance with Evanston Parking contact firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 847-491-3319
- For further assistance for Chicago Parking contact Chicagoparking@northwestern.edu or by phone at 312-503-1103.
We encourage new employees and their managers to download the Onboarding Checklist for a successful transition into your new role. Please review the following information regarding necessary paperwork completion for your first day.
- Please email completed state tax form to askHR@northwestern.edu When emailing, for your protection, please place a password on the files.
- If you have selected to complete I-9 Section 2 in person at one of our HR offices, you may drop off your completed tax form here as well.
- New hires requiring assistance with completing the I9-Section 2 portion can refer to the list of instructions under the "Pre-Arrival" tab.
If hiring managers or new hires have questions and need to speak with Talent Acquisition, please email HRTA@northwestern.edu or call 312-503-8481 for assistance.
Identity cards and accounts
- Obtain a WildCARD . Your employee ID number and a photo ID are required.
- ***Please note: In person services are being offered by appointment only, on both the Evanston and Chicago Campuses. Please check the Wildcard office website for current office hours.
As you settle in to your new position, please take the time to attend the following in-person sessions and complete the online modules.
Orientations and training
- Find a date and register for New Faculty & Staff Benefits Orientation
- For reference, download the Employee Benefits presentation.
- For reference, download the Employee Benefits presentation.
- Register for New Employee Orientation Part 2 and attend within 90 days of starting
- Please note, there are temporarily no active Part 2 classes until further notice
- View New Employee Orientation within 30 days of starting
- Harassment and Discrimination Prevention
- An email will be sent within your first few weeks inviting you to the online course, which must be completed within 30 days of receipt
- Safe Campus
- An email will be sent from myHR Learn inviting staff to complete the course within 30 days of receipt
- Introduction to University Business Processes
Visit Learn From Where You Are for more about succeeding in a remote and virtual workplace, planning your approach to virtual and online learning, and to find a calendar of live virtual learning events.
- In the myHR onboarding module, attest to the following:
Familiarize yourself with the University
- Familiarize yourself with the pay date schedule
- Arrange a campus tour (optional)
Training and Development
- myHR Learn is your source for learning and professional development. Sign up for workshops and other learning opportunities here
- LinkedIn Learning and Northwestern University have partnered to offer University students, faculty and staff unlimited, on-demand access to a full library of online courses at no additional cost
- For a compiled list of Northwestern's system logins, please visit the System Directory
- Review and become familiar with the Conflict of Interest policy. Faculty and Staff are required to disclose annually
- Review the University Policies page for additional policy related information
- Visit Northwestern Public Events Calendar to fine happenings on campus
- To enhance your Northwestern experience, familiarize yourself and engage with Northwestern’s Staff Affinity Groups
- The Northwestern University Staff Advisory Council (NUSAC) serves as an advisory voice and change-agent for Northwestern staff in matters relating to community development, professional opportunities and workplace concerns