Dental Insurance Plans
Dental plans for US-based employees
- Dearborn National Dental PPO – You and your covered family members can go to any dentist, but you will generally receive higher benefits (and pay less out-of-pocket) for services you receive from a dentist who is a member of the Dearborn National Dental PPO provider Network. The plan pays the full cost of preventive services when using an in-Network dental provider.
- First Commonwealth Dental HMO – You and each family member you include under your coverage must choose a dentist who is a member of the First Commonwealth Dental HMO provider Network as your primary dental care provider. The plan pays the full cost of preventive services. For all other covered services, the plan pays 100% of the cost after you pay a specified Copay.
You and Northwestern share the cost of the dental coverage you choose. You pay your share through pre-tax contributions, which will be automatically deducted from your paycheck.
Chosing a plan
Whichever plan you choose, you can choose coverage just for yourself, or you may include one or more eligible family members under your coverage.
|Plan Features||Dearborn National Dental PPO||First Commonwealth Dental HMO|
|Diagnostic and preventative services - oral exams, x-rays, cleanings, fluoride treatments||Plan pays 100% - with no deductible||Plan pays 100%|
|Annual deductible||$50 individual/$150 family||N/A|
|Miscellaneous services - sealants, space maintainers, pulp vitality tests, pallative treatment to relieve dental pain||Plan pays 80% of the cost after the annual deductible||Plan pays 100% of the cost after specified copay|
|Restorative services, endontic sercices, peridontal services, oral surgery||Plan pays 80% of the cost after annual deductible||Plan pays 100% of the cost after specified copay|
|Crowns/inlays/onlays||Plan pays 50% of the cost after annual deductible||Plan pays 100% of the cost after specified copay|
|Implants||Plan pays 50% of the cost after annual deductible||N/A|
|Orthodontic services||For dependent children under age 26, plan pays 50%, up to $3,000 lifetime maximum||For children and adults - plan pays 100% of cost after specified copay|
|Annual benefit maximums||$3,000 per person||N/A|
For more information, read the Summary Plan Description for Northwestern’s health and welfare insurance coverage.
Plans for US and Qatar-campus employees
The following dental insurance plans are available to Northwestern employees:
- Dearborn National PPO Dental - The Dearborn National PPO is a dental plan covering comprehensive care for members.
- Guardian First Commonwealth Dental HMO - The Guardian First Commonwealth HMO is a dental maintenance organization (DMO) that provides dental care from a network of dentists and generally emphasizes preventive services.
- Cigna International Dental - Cigna International is available to employees working on the Qatar campus.