Hiring Temporary Staff
Have a temporary hiring need? Our Temporary Staffing Service assists hiring managers in filling temporary long- and short-term vacancies. Whether it’s vacation coverage, a special project, or interim assistance while you conduct a search for a regular employee, a temporary employee can be a valuable resource in helping you meet business demands.
Temporary worker and contractor hiring
All requests for non-student temporary workers and contractors (independent contractors and contractors through 3rd party staffing agencies) need to flow through the Position Management Process before work is performed if the expected cost of assignment is greater than $20,000. For more information visit the Position Management Process website.
Sourced temp service
This service offers sourcing and placement assistance to help you find the best temporary employee to meet your needs. For assistance in recruiting a temporary employee for your department, please forward your approved Temporary/Contractor Request Form to HRTA@northwestern.edu.
Please note: Effective the first full pay period in October 2019, the standard fee for sourced temporary placements will increase from $3.00 per hour to $3.50 per hour. This change will apply to any incoming or current temporary employees sourced with the assistance from your Talent Acquisition Partner. Stay tuned for more details on other fee structure changes in the coming weeks.
Please review our Sourced Temp Service Level Agreement for more information.
Non-Student Direct Temps and Student Temps
If you have identified a temporary candidate on your own, and would like to hire them, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Hiring Manager (or department representative) sends the Non-Student Direct Temp or Student Temp onboarding checklist to their candidate of choice.
- Following the instructions on the onboarding checklist, candidate of choice completes all required steps and returns the completed paperwork to the Hiring Manager.
- Hiring Manager completes the following steps:
- Fills out the bottom section of the Personal Data Form labeled "For Temporary Employees Only"
- Ensures I-9 Section 1 & 2 are completed for the candidate of choice
- Submits all completed paperwork, including the Temporary/Contractor Request Form to the appropriate email:
- After candidate enters background check information (required for Non-Student Temps only), the candidate will be processed.
****Effective as of August 1, 2019, HR Talent Acquisition (HRTA@northwestern.edu) is no longer accepting direct temp submissions with an incomplete personal data form and I-9 Section 1 & 2. If you submit an incomplete request, it will be returned with an explanation of the missing information. To be processed, requests must be resubmitted with all missing information.