Additional Pay Process
Background on recent updates
The online Additional Pay process was updated to support additional pay for faculty and staff. In addition, the workflow and approvals in the new online system support the University Position Management Initiative announced in January 2018.
The approvals for faculty and student additional pay have remained unchanged. The enhanced, streamlined process includes new approval routing for all staff requests. This change supersedes the old online system and the paper processes that has been in place for staff since February 2018. As such, additional pay requests, including those for staff, may resume in the online system.
Submit an Additional Pay request
- Administrators with access to Online Additional Pay should log in to myHR to submit requests for faculty, staff and students.
- If your area is not yet authorized to use the online system, please submit a signed paper Additional Pay Form to PositionApprovalCommittee@northwestern.edu. The form must be signed by the Associate Dean or Head of Administration for the unit submitting the request before the Committee will perform a review.
Routing changes for staff Additional Pay
- Removal of HR Compensation Approval: The Position Approval Committee has replaced the previous Human Resources Compensation approval step; Compensation will no longer review additional pay transactions.
- School/Unit Approval:The Associate Dean or Head of Administration will have final approval within the school or unit prior to submission to the Position Approval Committee.
- Position Approval Committee Approval: Additional Pay requests for staff memberswill be routed to the Position Approval Committee for final review. (Additional Pay for faculty, students, tuition reimbursement, mobile allowance reimbursement, childcare support, research subject fees, housing supplements, and relocation will not require committee approval.)
We are pleased to announce that other enhancements were implemented based on suggestions and feedback from the community.
- Research Subject Fees: Payments for Research Subject Fees (account code 60105) no longer require Home Department, OSR, or ASRSP approval in myHR. A Sponsored Justification Form is not required when providing Research Subject Fees from a sponsored account.
- Biweekly Timesheets: Payments to biweekly staff members no longer require a Kronos timesheet attachment. HR Payroll will review the timesheet in Kronos to determine possible overtime for any approved requests; the paying department is responsible for understanding that overtime may be a factor in payments to biweekly staff.
- “Hours of Work” Field: To assist HR Payroll with overtime calculations and hours tracking, a new “Hours of Work” field is required for most biweekly staff payments.
- Service End Date for Graduate Students: Like monthly staff and faculty payments, requests for non-sponsored payments to graduate students may be entered with a future Service End Date. The approved Graduate Student Work Authorization Form is still required.