Onboarding New Employees
Congratulations on your new-hire! We look forward to welcoming your new employee to the Northwestern community. Keep in mind that onboarding is a process that takes several months. It is not only a time to assess the new employee’s skills and abilities but it is also your new-hire’s opportunity to become more acclimated to the culture and environment of both your school/unit and Northwestern as a whole. Below you will find helpful information about the onboarding process, including resources for pre and post-arrival to ensure a positive new beginning.
Before your new employee starts, please review the guides and resources below to help prepare for their first day.
- Guiding Principles for Onboarding
- Computer and Phone Setup
- Key and Security Access Requests
- Onboarding Schedule Template
- Obtaining a Net ID
- Onboarding Foreign Nationals
Please be sure to review the following information with your new employee on their first day.
- Introduce myHR Self Service portal
- Pay Date Schedule
- Submitting Time Cards for Approval
- Campus Maps (Evanston & Chicago)
Within two weeks:
Continue the onboarding process by highlighting overviews and education opportunities.
- myHR Learn
- Access to Lynda.com
- Review Job Description and Expectations
- Performance Excellence Process
Additional resources for managers & administrators:
- myHR Administration Access
- The University WildCARD
- E-Verify Instructions for New Hires
- Staff Handbook Attestation
- Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status
- Online Course for Preventing Sexual Misconduct
- Pay Date Schedule and Due Dates for Payroll Forms
- Hiring Temporary Employees