Pace Rideshare Program
Carpooling is an economical, convenient, and environmentally friendly way to commute to work. Participating in a rideshare program will reduce your commuting costs, carbon footprint, and stress. Northwestern University has partnered with Pace to help you find others interested in carpooling. Full-time Northwestern employees who would like to carpool and live outside the parking boundaries for their campus are eligible for the program. The parking boundaries are:
- Evanston: Central Street to the north, Ridge Avenue to the west, and Lake Street to the south
- Chicago: North Avenue to the north, Halsted Street to the west, and Congress Parkway to the south
How to Find a Carpool
- Register with Pace Rideshare and specify your employer as "Northwestern University". For registration help, please see Pace's Registration Guide.
- Match potential participants in your area.
- Stop by your campus Parking Services office to pick up your parking permit. Your parking assignment will be based on your carpool participants and their respective eligibility. Only one parking permit is issued per carpool, all participants' old parking permits will no longer be valid.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that Pace Rideshare is not affiliated with Northwestern University. Participants are solely responsible for determining whether or when it is appropriate to meet with or share personal information with a potential carpool partner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do carpools receive a discounted rate on parking?
Carpools pay the full price for one parking permit. This amount can be split between all the carpoolers along with other shared expenses to save money on commuting.
Does our carpool receive an assigned parking location?
On the Evanston campus you may park in any lot or garage. In Chicago you will be assigned a specific garage in which to park.
What if our carpool utilizes different vehicles?
Hanging passes will be distributed to Evanston campus carpools. These can be switched between vehicles. Two swipe cards will be provided to Chicago campus carpools. These can be used regardless of which vehicle is being driven.
Will all participants' Wildcards be activated to gain access to the Chicago parking garages?
Each carpool will receive two swipe cards for garage access.
Can I carpool with non-University employees?
Yes. However, they will not have access to University parking facilities if they drive to work without University carpool members.
Is parking free for carpoolers?
Carpools are still required to pay the regular parking fee.
How many people are required in each carpool?
At least two people.
Will Northwestern provide my carpool vehicle?
Northwestern does not provide carpooling vehicles. However, Pace provides vans through its Vanpool program.
I bike to work, can I carpool with other bikers during only winter quarter?
Yes, you may buy a parking permit for just winter quarter.