Below are estimated student expenses per quarter during the 2019-2020 academic year. Costs are estimates only and may vary depending on students' housing and meal plan selection, personal spending, and other factors.
|Tuition||$0||Exchange students are not responsible for tuition fees at their host university. They pay tuition to their home university.|
|Room & Board||$5,600||Actual costs may vary depending on housing and meal plan selection.|
|Books & Supplies||$300||Average cost of required course materials and school supplies.|
|Personal Expenses||$850||Incidentals and living expenses, such as clothing, toiletries, and entertainment.|
|Visa Application Fee||$160|
|Student Health Insurance||$750||Cost varies by term.|
|Transportation||Varies||Students will not experience commuting costs, but should budget at least one international flight.|
|TOTAL||$7,840 (plus international flight to Northwestern)|
Billing & Payment
As an exchange student, you are not responsible for paying tuition to Northwestern. You will only be billed by Northwestern for the cost of room and board (if you live on campus) and the Northwestern Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP). Consult the Student Financial Services site for information about billing, payment methods, and payment due dates.
Below are some additional guidelines for exchange students:
- Review information about payment methods. Since exchange students often do not have a U.S. bank account set up prior to the first payment due date, many choose to use the "International Currency" payment option through Flywire.
Note: When you use the Flywire service, the name of the charge will be "Northwestern University Tuition Payments (Illinois)." Even though the charge description indicates "tuition," it will be credited toward any charges on your student account, including health insurance, housing, and meal plan.
- If you are studying at Northwestern for more than one quarter, you will be charged for one quarter of housing and meal plan at the beginning of each quarter.
- All students will be charged in full for NU-SHIP up front. It is not possible for this fee to be assessed quarterly.
- If your bill is not paid by the due date, you may incur late fees or registration holds.
- Your student account includes all transactions in real time, so you will be able to view daily activity as well as your eBill (monthly snapshot).
Consult these sections of the Student Financial Services site for more information: