Pre-Departure Financial Support
Financial aid is typically available at the beginning of your study abroad term, but some costs related to study abroad can occur much earlier. Covering these up-front costs can present budgeting challenges, especially if you depend on financial aid to help with your expenses. In an effort to minimize the stress of pre-departure expenses, the Undergraduate Financial Aid and Global Learning Offices are pleased to offer the Bridge Builder program for students with high financial need.
Bridge Builder is designed to assist students who might not have funds immediately available to cover many up-front study abroad costs before financial aid is available. Bridge Builder assistance is not in addition to your financial aid, but provides a way to use the aid you will already receive to either cover your pre-departure expenses when they occur or defer those costs to later.
"Bridge Builder made the process of booking a flight and handling other up-front travel expenses much smoother. As a student with high financial need, Bridge Builder alleviated my stress regarding financials for my first time traveling outside of the U.S."
- You are enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate at Northwestern (not including SPS).
- You have been approved for and accepted to a Northwestern program, Northwestern exchange program, or affiliated program.
- You have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $10,000 or less for the current academic year and receive need-based financial aid from Northwestern.
- You may only apply to Bridge Builder for one program per term (e.g., one fall quarter program). You cannot be granted flight-booking or scholarship support for two different programs during the same academic term.
- Eligible expense types vary by program and term. Some eligible pre-departure expenses may require documentation.
- Bridge Builder is not available for unaffiliated programs.
- If you will attend a program that arranges international travel for all participants, you are not eligible to book your flight through Bridge Builder, regardless of whether you are required or plan to participate on your program's flight. This currently includes the following programs:
- Boston University Geneva Internship Program
- Boston University Padua Italian & European Studies Program
- Carleton Buddhist Studies in India
- Northwestern GESI programs (all locations)
- Northwestern Semester in Qatar
- Flight and fare are subject to University travel policy/restrictions and approval.
- Complete the Bridge Builder application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the submission deadlines below.
- Schedule an appointment with a Study Abroad Financial Aid adviser to discuss your study abroad aid, budgeting, and pre-departure costs, and to have your application certified.
- If you are booking your flight through Bridge Builder, book by the appropriate deadline below.
Submit Bridge Builder Application By
Book Flight By
Flight Billed through CAESAR
Fall, Fall-Winter, or Full Year
Winter or Winter-Spring
"Bridge Builder is a fantastic program that really looks out for students who haven't thought about their up-front costs. For some students, they may not be able to afford their program without such aid."