Support a student's study abroad experience
Your support is an essential part of each student’s study abroad experience. The information below can help inform your discussions with students before, during, and after they study abroad. We also outline opportunities to connect with GLO!
- Consult the academic planning section for general points to consider while advising students about how study abroad fits in to their degree.
- Refer to these resources for information and tips about the study abroad application process.
- Is your advisee considering staying abroad for a full year after completing a semester? Learn about study abroad extensions.
- Each school and department determines its own transfer credit policies and procedures. Refer to this overview for general information about study abroad credit transfer.
- To assist students in their transition back to campus after study abroad, review notes about support for returning students.
University Study Abroad Committee (USAC)
The University Study Abroad Committee (USAC) is a faculty committee that reviews, approves, and evaluates all undergraduate study abroad programs to ensure that they are consistent with Northwestern's educational goals, values, and academic standards. Learn more about USAC, faculty membership, and the new program proposal process.
Northwestern faculty and staff have extensive international experience and offer invaluable insights to students considering or preparing for a study abroad experience. The GLObal Guides program recognizes faculty and staff as advocates for study abroad and highlights them as resources to prospective study abroad students. We hope you will consider becoming a GLObal Guide!
Questions? Contact your GLO liaison
The Global Learning Office staff are always available to discuss the benefits of learning abroad, opportunities available to Northwestern students, the application process, and other opportunities for collaboration. GLO has assigned staff liaisons to Northwestern offices and departments, so that you have a central point of contact. Find and contact your GLO liaison anytime!