Skip to main content

Housing & Storage

As you prepare to leave campus, don't forget to make these housing and storage arrangements prior to your departure from Northwestern. Keep in mind that financial aid (including all forms of scholarships, grants, and loans) cannot cover the cost of your housing in Evanston while you are abroad.

Cancel on-Campus Room & Board

Leaving campus for studying abroad is considered a legitimate reason to cancel your housing contract and meal plan. You must complete a request for cancellation of room contract (a paper form, printed on blue paper), which is available in the Undergraduate Housing Office, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm. If you stop by after business hours, you can pick up the form just outside Vina Bondurant's office, fill it out, and then put it in her inbox.

University Housing oversees assignments in Sigma Alpha Iota and Phi Mu Alpha, which are subject to the steps outlined above. For all other Greek units, contact your fraternity or sorority directly.

For further questions about University Housing, contact university housing at or (847) 467-4663.

Sublet off-Campus Housing

If you will be away for a summer, a quarter, or longer and would like to sublet your apartment, try some of the following to advertise your space:

Check out this video from Northwestern Off-Campus Life offering guidance on some ways students can handle their living arrangements if they plan to be away from campus for Study Abroad.

Store Your Stuff

You may need to store items that you choose not to pack. Storage options include:

  • Storage in Your Apartment
    If you are keeping or subletting your apartment, storage in your apartment building may be available. Check with your landlord or property manager.
  • Self-Storage Units