Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to common questions asked by incoming exchange students.

What can I do if the class I want to take is full?

If the class is full and offers an online waitlist, you may be able to add yourself to the waitlist. Some departments maintain their own course waitlists. You may email the professor to see if they can accommodate you in the class. If so, they will give you instructions about how to obtain a permission number. Whenever you contact an instructor or department to request a permission number, be polite, gracious, and understanding of their policies regarding the distribution of permission numbers. Also make sure to identify yourself as an exchange student (indicate your home university) hosted by the GLO office. Feel free to contact the GLO office for assistance.

Can I take classes at the Kellogg School of Management?


Can I take any graduate-level classes?

If you have met the course prerequisites, the course is open to undergraduates, and the instructor of the class approves your enrollment, then you may take graduate courses. You are encouraged to speak with your academic adviser about course planning.

What residence hall should I select?

Many exchange students choose to live in Sargent, Allison, or Foster-Walker (also called Plex), but you can list various preferences when submitting your housing application. Check out the North by Northwestern Housing Guide for student opinions on these and other living spaces on campus.