You will be billed through CAESAR for the summer study abroad charges outlined by program type below. Review your program materials for the most up-to-date cost and billing information.
|Summer Program Type||CAESAR Bill Includes||Billed On||Payment Due|
|Northwestern Programs||Program fee
(inc. tuition, housing, & GeoBlue ins.)
|May 10th||June 1st|
|GESI Programs||Airfare & program fee (tuition, housing & food, & GeoBlue ins.)||May 10th||June 1st|
|Affiliated Programs||Program tuition & NU study abroad fee||June 10th||July 1st|
|Unaffiliated Programs||NU study abroad fee only||June 10th||July 1st|
Understanding Your NU Invoice (Summer 2023)
For Northwestern and affiliated programs, your summer invoice in CAESAR will include regular Northwestern summer tuition ($5,199 per credit), along with a study abroad differential charge or credit, increasing or decreasing your charges to make your invoice equal to your program's tuition or program fee.
- If you are registered for two credits, your invoice will display a Northwestern tuition charge of $10,398 ($5,199 x 2). If the program fee is $12,000, your invoice will also include a differential charge of $1,602, increasing your total charges to the program fee.
- If you are registered for three credits, your invoice will display a Northwestern tuition charge of $15,597 ($5,199 x 3). If the program fee is $9,500, your invoice will also contain a differential credit of $6,097, reducing your total charges to the program fee.
If you are attending an affiliated or unaffiliated program, your invoice will also include the Northwestern Study Abroad Administrative Fee (SAAF), which is $300 for Summer 2023.
Affiliated Program Billing Notes
Students attending affiliated summer programs will be billed through CAESAR for only the program's tuition and the Northwestern study abroad fee. It is your responsibility to pay directly for your housing abroad.
- IES Abroad Arles: You will receive a separate invoice from IES Abroad for your housing and insurance.
- LSE Summer School and Yonsei Summer School: Your invoice from Northwestern will be based on your registration at the host institution as of early/mid-May, when your program invoices Northwestern for your tuition. Subsequent changes to your registration abroad may result in billing adjustments on your Northwestern account. If you receive financial aid, remember that you are required to remain enrolled in at least 2.0 credits while abroad in order to remain eligible for aid.
Summer Financial Aid
- All financial aid recipients are required to remain enrolled in at least 2.0 credits in order to maintain eligibility for aid. If you drop below this enrollment level at any time, your summer aid will be canceled in full.
- Students attending Northwestern programs are not required to complete the summer aid application. Aid will be posted in CAESAR by May 10th for all eligible students.
- Students who wish to apply for financial aid for affiliated summer programs should complete the summer aid application no later than May 15th to have summer aid reflected on the June 10th invoice.
- If you plan to borrow loans in the summer, make sure to accept your summer loans and complete all loan application requirements before you leave for your program.
- If you will have excess funds from your financial aid or loans, you may be eligible for a financial aid refund, which you can use toward your other study abroad expenses.
Unaffiliated Summer Programs
Northwestern will only bill you through CAESAR for the Study Abroad Administrative Fee (SAAF). This charge will appear on your June 10th invoice, and payment will be due on July 1st. Your study abroad program or host institution will bill you directly for all other program fees.
You may pay your summer invoice through the regular ePay service, or via check or money order. Visit the Student Finance website for details.
The Northwestern prepayment plan is not available in the summer term.