The Global Learning Office (GLO) ambassador program recognizes the contribution of alumni to GLO and helps build a community among study abroad returnees. Ambassadors serve as official volunteer representatives of the GLO office and advocate for study abroad within the Northwestern undergraduate community.
In addition to the unpaid ambassador position, GLO offers paid leadership positions to study abroad alumni who are passionate advocates for study abroad within the Northwestern undergraduate community. GLO fellows will focus on specific initiatives, while also assisting with the leadership of the ambassador program.
- Be a part of a community of fellow study abroad alumni.
- Act as a mentor/adviser to prospective and outbound study abroad students and make significant contributions to the Northwestern study abroad community
- Advise prospective study abroad students on available opportunities
- Gain valuable experience for your résumé and professional development through skills such as marketing, event planning, and public speaking/presentation delivery
- Assist GLO in the evaluation and improvement of your program
- Attend ambassador group training
- Be available via email, phone, or in person to advise interested students about study abroad programs and processes
- Be a resource for outbound and returning students
- Participate in at least one ULA-related event during each term (for example, the Study Abroad Fair, SummerFest, or other program-specific events and gatherings on campus)
- Maintain student confidentiality
Coordinate and organize one event (community building or student outreach)
- Conduct general outreach through social media (generally Facebook)
We encourage, but do not require,
Participate in a focus group to provide feedback about your program
Make connections with and organize events for future study abroad students to share your experiences and answer any questions they may have before departing
Contribute alumni content to GLO blogsSuggest changes, improvements, new projects, etc.
- Make connections with and organize events for future study abroad students to share your experiences and answer any questions they may have before departing
- Contribute alumni content to GLO blogs
- Suggest changes, improvements, new projects, etc.
All ambassadors will be grouped by program type as well as region. Additionally, GLO seeks ambassadors who can speak directly to their academic and extracurricular backgrounds and/or their personal identity and diversity as this is very helpful for other students. Ambassadors will have the opportunity to self-identify their specialties in their application.
- Academic & Extracurricular Backgrounds
- First-time traveler
- Greek life
- International student
- Pre-med or pre-health
- Student athlete
- Transfer student
- Identity & Diversity
- First generation college student
- Gender identity
- LGBTQ identity
- Race & Ethnicity
- Religion & Spirituality
- Students with high financial need
- Students with mental health priorities
- Current Northwestern undergraduate students willing to commit for the entire 2020 - 2021 academic year
- Previous or current participation in an affiliated, Northwestern-specially designed, or Northwestern exchange program
- Enthusiasm and passion for study abroad
- Excellent communication skills.
Ability to holistically reflect upon your study abroad experience(s) in a professional, truthful, and responsible manner