Skip to main content

Undocumented and DACA Students

Northwestern University remains committed to supporting students who have DACA status, are undocumented, or have undocumented family members. Access resources and support for the undocumented/DACA community through Student Enrichment Services.

Study Abroad

DACA students who are interested in studying abroad need to obtain an advance parole document from USCIS that permits entry into the U.S. after spending a term abroad. However, it is important to note that obtaining advance parole does not guarantee entry into the U.S. The potential benefits of obtaining advance parole must be weighed against the risk that while you are outside the United States. More information about traveling internationally with DACA status is available on SES's FAQs on Immigration & Related Matters.

Before applying for or departing the U.S. with advance parole, you should seek legal advice. The Office of Student Enrichment Services (SES) can assess your circumstances and inquiries around advance parole and/or their status. If you are considering studying abroad as a DACA student, we also encourage you to disclose this information to your GLO adviser during an advising appointment. Given the time involved in the process, students are encouraged to reach out to campus resources far in advance of their desired study abroad program dates to explore their options for participating.

Experiential Learning Opportunities

We recognize that for many students who are undocumented or who have DACA status, the risk of traveling outside of the U.S. is very high. However, many of the skills gained through study abroad—such as adaptation, communication, independence, and resilience—can also be developed through Northwestern's other experiential learning opportunities that do not require foreign travel.