Northwestern encourages students to study abroad for the full year, but some students do not consider this option until they are already abroad. If a student would like to extend their stay beyond their initial term abroad, this may be possible, as long as the program allows it and the student's academic adviser(s) are supportive. Students must consult with their GLO and academic advisers and obtain approval to extend their study abroad program by the following deadlines:
- December 1: extend a fall program through winter/spring
- March 1: extend a fall/winter program through spring
Steps for Students
Students must complete various steps to be able to extend their term abroad. If students inquire about the possibility of extending a study abroad term, please refer them to our extending your term abroad page.
Before they make the decision to extend their term abroad, it is important that students understand the implications of their additional time abroad on completion of their degree. Students are expected to consult academic advising resources and contact you with questions. Please re-consider the following:
- Do you think extending the term abroad is reasonable from the point of view of the major/minor? For example, if the student wishes to take mostly elective credit abroad, will there be sufficient time to finish major/minor requirements upon returning to campus?
- If the student wishes to make progress towards major/minor requirements abroad, are courses from this program generally acceptable to your department? Is there a limit on the number of study abroad courses that may be counted towards the major/minor?
- If you have concerns about the student's academic progress, please contact the GLO adviser for the student's program.
- Please note that all of the normal rules about double counting also apply to study abroad courses.
All students need to obtain support from their School Adviser before GLO will approve a term extension. Taking into account the general education requirements of your school and the overall performance of the student to date, please re-consider:
- Do you think the plan to extend to a full year is reasonable?
- Are there any aspects of the student's record that cause you to hesitate in your support this request (for example, unfinished incompletes, insufficient progress towards degree requirements, URR concerns, etc.)?
- To indicate your support and/or if you have concerns about the student's academic progress, please email the GLO adviser for the student's program.
Support means: I believe that this student's plan to extend the term abroad will be acceptable to my school in partial fulfillment of the student's academic program at Northwestern. His/her study abroad plans make good academic sense considering his/her overall plan of study at Northwestern.