On this page, you can find information about academic requirements and resources while studying at Northwestern.
Academic Program Objectives
To maintain visa compliance, international students must uphold certain academic program objectives:
- Attend the institution listed on your DS-2019
- Maintain full-time enrollment each term, which means registering for at least 3 courses in a quarter
These objectives are explained in greater depth on the International Office website.
Advising and Assistance
You will be assigned either an academic adviser in the McCormick School of Engineering (if you are an engineering student) or the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences (if you are a student in arts or sciences). Your assigned academic adviser can assist you with academic planning and other academic questions that you may have during your time at Northwestern.
Many professors and Teaching Assistants (TAs) hold office hours when they will be available for students to come in and ask them questions.
Additional Campus Resources
- The Office of the Registrar provides information about course registration, university academic policies, and academic records.
- The Undergraduate Academic Resource Portal through the Searle Center provides tutoring and academic assistance.
- The Writing Place can assist with English writing skills.
- The International Office provides resources for English language assistance.
- The Office for Research provides links to the University's 90 school-based centers and more than two dozen University centers for research.
Share Your Native Language
There are a number of ways to share your native language with Northwestern students.
Connect with Your NU Language Department
Weinberg College offers courses in Arabic, Chinese, Czech, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Persian (Farsi), Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili and Turkish.
Attend Conversation Tables
Language department faculty will inform you of weekly language practice times.
Tutor Northwestern Students or Become a Language Partner
Talk to language department faculty about these potential opportunities.