Bids by Departments/Schools
Departments and schools can perform a competitive bid.
The following standard documents have been developed by Procurement and Payment Services (PPS) to assist departments/schools with the bid process:
- Request for Quotation Bid Price Sheet Template (doc)
- PO Terms and Conditions (pdf)
- The Purchasing Decision Documentation form (URL)
- Must be completed for purchases of $25,000 or more
- Attach the completed Bid Summary Form to the Requisition in NUFinancials
- This form summarizes the primary factors considered in the award decision, how each vendor responded to those factors, and how the awarded vendor was selected and why. Or, if a sole source was used, the form provides all SSJ information.
- See 'Quick Tips' for a job-aid and helpful information before completing the Purchasing Decision Documentation form
PPS can also provide training and advice to departments/schools about how to appropriately conduct and manage the process of requesting quotes. Departments/schools are strongly encouraged to include PPS in the bidding process for significant purchases or when a strategic relationship needs to be established with a vendor for a particular product or service.
PPS reserves the right to request and review any document related to a particular purchase decision.
Choosing a Vendor
The best way to determine which vendor a particular department or school should do business with is to make that decision based on a competitive solicitation among potential suppliers.
It is a good business practice to make award decisions based on a best-value evaluation. To do this, the department/school should consider a variety of factors in addition to price, such as delivery capabilities, quality, past performance, training, reporting capabilities, compliance with specifications/requirements, financial stability, etc. The award should be made to the responsive and responsible bidder that offers the best combination of all of these factors.
Please note that if the vendor selected is requesting that the department or school sign something, it MUST be reviewed by the Office of General Counsel (OGC). Once it is reviewed and approved, it will be forwarded to the appropriate officer of the University for signature. Learn more about Signature Authority.
In order to successfully complete and submit the Purchasing Decision Documentation, make sure to have knowledge of the following information:
- Name of supplier awarded the bid and the amount
- Names of all other suppliers and quotes received (Quotes should be requested from multiple vendors)
- Service and product description with reason of selecting supplier
- For conflict of interest, name of the individual who selected the vendor and knowledge if the individual:
- Has a personal or financial interest in the vendor.
- Received any gifts or hospitality from the vendor within the last 12 months.
- Given a gift or provided more than incidental hospitality to the vendor within the last 12 months.