June Move Out Information for Undergraduate Residents
As you prepare for finals, you also need to consider the move-out process. Important information about Spring 2021 closing and move-out is included below and if you have any questions, you should contact your RA, ARD or RD.
The residence and board contract states that each student must vacate their building within 24 hours after their last final exam. All undergraduate residence halls, residential colleges, and residential communities close at noon on Saturday, June 12, 2021. Students granted late stay extension from the groups listed below must move out of current assignments by 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 15, 2021. Students engaged in residential summer programs or with a summer housing contract will have the ability to stay through the start of their summer assignment.
Students who will automatically be approved for late stay include:
- graduating seniors
- commencement volunteers
- students participating in approved academic programs
- siblings of graduating students
- students engaged in residential summer programs
- those with a summer housing contract
Other students who want to stay after noon on Saturday, June 12, 2021, need to apply through the Late Stay Application. The application will be open May 4-28, 2021. The cost from June 15-20 is $50 per night and will be charged to the student account except when a summer program has included the nights as part of their contract. Notifications will be made via email on a rolling basis for late stay requests.
*Note: Even if you are included in one of the above automatically approved groups, you must still apply online to stay late.
To check-out, the following steps must be completed:
- Prepare room by completing all items on the checklist below
- As you are leaving your room, complete the checklist items on your door, then complete the online Self-Check-Out Form at bit.ly/nucheckout.
Failure to complete either of these steps will result in an improper check-out fee of $50.
Preparing Your Room for Check-Out
Here are the steps to complete your check-out:
- Complete the “Closing Checklist” list as detailed below (and posted on your room door)
- Pack/remove your belonging
- Remove items from the trunk room –abandoned items will be donated or disposed of
- Clean your room/suite/apartment
- This includes sweeping or vacuuming floors, dusting or wiping all surfaces clean, removing all tape, stickers, etc. from surfaces, and your bathroom and kitchen (where applicable)
- Dispose of waste/recycling in proper receptacles
- Ensure all furniture allocated to the room is present
- Close/latch windows and close window coverings
- Set thermostat to low or 72⁰F (22⁰C)
- Double check room/suite for personal belongings
- Turn out lights and lock the door
- Complete the online Self Check-Out Form
Each resident must submit an online Self-Check-Out Form to complete Move Out.
Failure to complete the checklist items and/or to complete the online Self-Check-Out Form may result in an improper check-out fee of $50. Students who do not check out by the building closing time will be charged a $100 late check-out fee.
What to Expect as you Check Out / Damages
Residential Services staff will review the condition of your room and may assess charges to restore the room to its original condition, remove excessive trash or belongings, and/or cleaning. Charges will be equally split among apartment residents as appropriate. If a student wishes to take full responsibility for a damage charge, they should email a short statement to their Resident Director from their Northwestern student email account. Public area damages, including trash or other items left in hallways, will be charged to the residents who live in the area. Students who receive damage charges will be notified by email. An appeal process will be outlined in that email. Belongings left in the room after checkout will be donated or disposed of 7 days after the student checks out.
Garbage, Recycling & Donating
All garbage and recycling should be deposited in proper locations. Garbage and recycling materials are not to be left in hallways or lounges due to fire egress concerns. Items left in the hallway may result in fines split among the members of the community. To assist with the expected increase in garbage, extra dumpsters will be placed in the following areas from June 7 to June 18, 2021:
- 726 University Place (in front of Chapin)
- 655 University Place (across from South Mid Quad)
- 626 University Place (east side of Shepard)
- 2305 Sheridan Road (in parking spots at SE corner of the Goodrich parking lot)
- 2407 Sheridan Road (at Patten Gym parking lot)
- 2400 Sheridan Road (west side of Elder Hall, near loading dock)
- 2315 Sheridan (north side of the building, along the woodchips/near bike racks)
- 2420 Campus Drive (Between Kemper and 560 Lincoln)
- 1915 Maple (Engelhart parking lot)
Residential Services is working with SustainNU to determine if we are able to offer a Take It or Leave it program to donate items this year.
- The last day for mail delivery for the academic year is Thursday, June 10, 2021. All USPS First Class mail will be forwarded to forwarding addresses provided in CEASAR.
- First class mail does not include bulk mail, periodicals (newspapers, magazines, etc.) or items from private carriers (UPS, FedEX, etc.). Make sure to update your address information with banks, periodicals, and online shipping orders to continue receiving mail over the summer. Normal mail service for new students and returning residents will resume Wednesday, September 8, 2021.
- For more information on summer forwarding, visit: https://www.northwestern.edu/living/services/mail/mail-forwarding.html
Move Out Assistance
To help protect the safety of the community, you may have up to two individuals assist you with moving out. These individuals must:
- Complete the Symptom Tracker and not come to campus if they are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19
- Wear face coverings while on campus
- Only be in the building during a two-hour move-out timeframe
Residential Services and USS have partnered to bring returning residential students discounted summer storage and shipping prices. Visit USS' website for discounted pricing and additional information.
- 24-hour quiet hours begin at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 4, 2021, and end at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 11, 2021.
- Please remember that NU parking policies remain in effect during move out periods. Please observe all signage and policies. Most lots require permits from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekdays. Some spaces are reserved 24 hours, and others have parking meters. Do not park in fire lanes while moving out.
- Please remember that NU parking policies remain in effect during move out periods. Observe all signage and regulations accordingly. All lots require permits from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekdays and some spaces are reserved 24 hours. Do not park in fire lanes or block traffic lanes while moving out. You are permitted to utilize any regular parking space in residential parking lots for two-hour parking as you are actively moving out. Once you are done loading your vehicle it must be moved to the North or South Campus Parking Garages. Daily permits are available to any student or parent for $9.00. Daily permits can be purchased at the Parking Office or by parking in either the North or South Parking Garage. Visit the Evanston campus parking website for more information.
- Information about meals during finals week will be available on the Northwestern Dining website
- Please watch your email, the residence hall TVs, and bulletin boards for additional information about closing.
Please contact your Resident Assistant, Assistant Resident Director, or Resident Director.