Skip to main content

Housing & Dining Accommodation Requests

Learning—and practicing—to live, work, and spend time with others is an essential component of the Northwestern experience. There is no better place to do this than in our campus residences.

A variety of medical illnesses, disabilities and psychological conditions, or financial considerations, may necessitate a housing and/or meal plan accommodation. Examples could include a physical alteration to a room for medical or psychological needs, a specific space/room type, or various food options/restrictions that are medically necessary. The goal of the accommodation request process is to allow the student to fully participate in the Northwestern residential experience while remaining on campus, whenever possible.

Students wishing to request housing and/or meal plan accommodations may do so via our Housing & Dining Accommodation Portal. All requests are reviewed by a University committee comprised of members from Undergraduate Financial Aid, Counseling and Psychological Services, Residential Services, University Health Service, Northwestern Dining, the Dean of Students Office, and other campus partners.

Every effort is made to accommodate students’ needs within our housing system and meal plan using the alternatives available. The meal plan contract does not permit exceptions based on religious dictates, personal food choice or preferences (e.g. vegetarianism), or other non-medically-based, dietary requirements. If a request for a meal plan accommodation is received, the University’s dietician will be consulted and recommend a final decision.

In rare instances when the University cannot identify an appropriate accommodation, then there may be consideration of a request for an exception to the University’s two-year residency requirement and/or meal plan contract. This may be considered for medical or psychological conditions, financial reasons, family, age, or other situations.

Any request for an accommodation will require proper supporting documentation.

Documentation for requests made concerning medical, emotional, or psychological diagnoses, must be from a certified medical/mental health professional who has worked with the student.

Rising second-year, third-year, and fourth-year students must submit accommodation requests for the new academic year by April 1. Incoming first-year and transfer students must submit accommodation requests by June 1. Requests submitted after these deadlines will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Housing accommodations will be made based upon available spaces. It is not possible to guarantee a housing accommodation for requests submitted after the deadline.

Decisions will be communicated via university email to the student within four (4) weeks of submission. All decisions by the committee are final.