Graduate Housing Contract
FALL 2021/WINTER 2022/SPRING 2022
GRADUATE CONTRACT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Residential Services Housing Contract ("Contract") establishes an agreement between Northwestern University ("University") and the student ("Student") for use of assigned space and facilities of a residence for and in consideration of the keeping and performing by Student of all understandings, agreements, terms and conditions of obligation enumerated herein.
The Contract does not guarantee assignment to a particular type of accommodation (room or apartment) or assignment to any preference indicated by Student. Student's preferences are requests only; preferences for room or apartment type, building of occupancy, and University's granting of roommate requests cannot be guaranteed. Please note that refunds of any prepayments made under this Contract are subject to the below listed Cancellation Fee Schedule, regardless of cause, including but not limited to reasons related to room or roommate assignment. The Contract does not determine final admission of the Student to the University. Assignment to on-campus housing is contingent upon the University's final acceptance of the Student for admission, approval of the Contract by the Executive Director of Residential Services ("Executive Director") or their designee and receipt of full payment. If the rate for space, as assigned, varies from the payment made, an additional charge or refund, as the case may be, will be made to the Student. Facilities may vary slightly from descriptions in brochures or from model rooms or apartments. No discounts in rental rates will be made for such variations.
1. CONTRACT DATES: I understand that the term of this contract is for 2021-2022 Northwestern University academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters, excluding Summer quarter), effective as of the signature date of this contract. I agree to vacate my room within 24-hours of my last final examination in June, or if I am graduating, I agree to vacate my room by 6:00PM on the day after Commencement. I understand that unless formally released from this contract by the Executive Director (see Residence Hall Policies and Procedures Release from Contract), I am responsible for the room rental charges and any applicable fees.
2. MEAL PLAN: I understand that I am not required, as a condition of living in on-campus student housing, to purchase an on-campus board (meal) plan. An optional board (meal) plan is available for purchase. Additional information on the optional board (meal) plan is available at www.dining.northwestern.edu or (847) 491-2020.
4. BUSINESS USE: I understand that I may not use my residence hall room or any University housing facilities for commercial or business purposes. This includes, but is not limited to, use of phone, assigned bedspace or available community lounge, study or kitchen spaces, data, and cable TV lines, as well as voicemail and mailboxes to conduct or carry out any commercial business.
6. SOCIAL DUES: No social dues are associated with, or included as part of, this housing contract.
7. PAYMENTS: I agree that payment for each quarter is due in advance, in accordance with deadlines stated in the University calendar. I understand that refunds of any prepayments made under this Contract are subject to the below Cancellation Fee Schedule, regardless of cause, including but not limited to reasons related to room or roommate assignment.
8. CONDITION OF PREMISES: I agree to accept and maintain the unit in its fully furnished condition throughout the duration on this contract. All furnishings, fixtures and equipment are to be kept in clean, sanitary and working order. I shall return the premises in as good repair as when possession was taken, ordinary wear and tear excepted. If the premises are discovered to be in poor sanitary condition or in a manner that could lead to an unhealthy or unsafe environment for a suitemate or surrounding residents, I will be required to make the necessary changes and cleaning to the room or apartment at my expense. These changes must be approved by the Executive Director or designee. If I fail to make these changes within a reasonable amount of time, services will be provided to perform the necessary cleaning. I shall then be responsible for the payment of the provided services. I am at no time permitted to change the paint color in the room or apartment or make any physical alterations to the unit. Such action shall result in my being financially responsible for the work required to restore the unit to its original condition.
9. MAINTENANCE REPAIRS: Repairs necessitated by my negligence or that of my guests will be made by the University. Any such costs will be chargeable to me upon written notice from the University and shall be payable no later than the due date of the next installment of room charges following such notice. The University reserves the right to bill me up to 60 days after my departure from the premises for any damages caused by me or my guests.
10. HEATING AND WATER: The University shall furnish hot and cold water in fixtures provided by the University for that purpose and a reasonable amount of heat, except when prevented from so doing by causes beyond the control of the University or when the apparatus providing water or heat is being repaired. Advanced notice will be provided for the annual Central Utility Plant Shutdown, typically in early September, which leaves units without hot water and air conditioning.
11. RESIDENT PROPERTY: The University reserves the right to restrict the use of my furniture or other items if such use necessitates the removal of any of the University’s property from the unit or if such furniture or other items are a health or safety hazard or interferes with the provision of services to other residents of the building. Where my personal property is left on the premises for more than 7 days after I vacate upon expiration or termination of the contract, the University shall have the right, at its sole option and without further notice, to either (a) dispose of such property, or (b) charge a reasonable storage charge for any such property. Washers, dryers, dishwashers, ceiling fans, window air conditioners, space heaters, large appliances, treadmills, either electrically or battery-operated or any other items that are considered by the University to be a safety or health hazard, are not permitted. The complete list of items not permitted for safety reasons can be found at http://www.northwestern.edu/living/about-us/policies/policies-and-procedures/index.html.
12. ACCESS TO PREMISES: The University through its proper representatives shall have free access at all reasonable hours to the premises for the purpose of insuring compliance with all applicable laws and University regulations, and examining the residence for cleanliness and upkeep, or making alterations and repairs, as well as for the purpose of exhibiting the residency to prospective residents. The University agrees to make every effort, when practical, to inform me in advance of any entry and examination; it being understood that nothing shall hinder the University’s right to enter the residence during an emergency to protect life and property from imminent injury or to enter the premises to save me from serious inconvenience. Within 30-days of my move-out date, I agree to permit the on-site maintenance staff to make a pre-move-out inspection of the unit.
13. INSURANCE AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS: The University does not assume any liability for the loss, damage or theft of any personal property for any cause whatsoever; if protection from the possibility of such loss is desired, I should cover my own possessions with appropriate insurance. Further, I hereby release and hold the University harmless for any liability to me or anyone claiming through me and the University shall not be legally responsible in any respect for any loss or damage which I or anyone claiming through me may sustain by reason of: a) Any strike, lockout, work stoppage, or other disturbances, riot, civil commotion or Act of God affecting me or the demised premises or any resident therein; b) Theft or burglary in or about the premises; c) Fire, water, flood, rain, frost, snow, gas odors or fumes from any source whatever; d) Any injury to any person or damage to any property not caused by the University’s direct negligence.
|Contract Signing – August 31, 2021||$300|
|September 1, 2021 – end of academic year||$300 less prorated rent refund|
Graduate Housing Contract Addendum
Fall 2021/Winter 2022/Spring 2022
In addition to the terms and conditions set forth in the Residential Services Housing Contract (“Contract”) between Northwestern University (“University”) and the student, who is enrolled as a graduate student at the University (“Graduate Student”), to which this Addendum is attached, the parties hereby agree to the following:
1. Graduate Student will be permitted to extend the term of the Contract set forth in Section 1 to include the Summer quarter after the signature date of the Contract and Addendum.
2. The Contract is not automatically renewed. Application for a new Contract to cover a forthcoming Northwestern University academic year must be submitted to Residential Services at least 60 days prior to the end of the Spring Quarter. Graduate Student may request an assignment change when a renewal is submitted.
5. Occupancy is limited to two (2) persons per bedroom, per apartment; or one (1) person per bedroom in units rented as “2-Bedroom Shared.”
6. Apartment keys may be provided to Graduate Student, domestic partner/spouse, and a dependent child who is 14 years of age or older.
7. Meal plans are not required as part of the Contract for graduate housing spaces.