Graduate Move Out
Fall Quarter Move Out InformationStudents with an expiring graduate housing contract in Fall 2022 must leave their building and complete all move out checklist items and their checkout by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Friday, December 16, 2022.
The check-out process has three steps:
- Complete the move out checklist
- Vacate your unit
- Check out online and turn in your key(s) and any issued access cards to the Engelhart or McManus front desks.
Move Out Checklist
When you are ready to move out, please complete the move out checklist below:
- Pack/remove your belongings
- Clean your room/suite/apartment
- Dispose of waste/recycling in proper receptacles
- Ensure all furniture allocated to the room is present
- Close/latch windows and close window coverings
- Set thermostat to low
- Double check your apartment for personal belongings
- Turn out lights and lock the door
- Return your assigned keys and any issued access cards to your desk. Secure keys in the key drop box at the desk if the desk is closed. Garrett Place residents should return keys to the Engelhart Desk and should not leave them in their mailbox.
- Pick up any remaining mail/packages
- Submit-Self Check-Out Form Check-out after you remove your belongings, and clean your space
- Each contract holder must submit the checkout form to complete their check-out.
What to Expect as you Check-Out / Damages
- Students must completely clean and empty apartments, including storage units where applicable, before they return their keys to the area desk.
- Students/other occupants who fail to return keys/cards at the time of check-out will be charged $106 for a lock change and $25 per card.
- Residential Services staff will review the condition of your room and may assess charges to restore the room to its original condition, remove excessive trash or belongings, and/or cleaning. Charges will be equally split among apartment residents as appropriate. If a student wishes to take full responsibility for a damage charge, they should email a short statement to the graduate housing Resident Director from their Northwestern student email account. Public area damages, including trash or other items left in hallways, will be charged to the residents who live in the area. Students who receive damage charges will be notified by email. An appeal process will be outlined in that email.
- Students who do not check out may be charged a $50 improper check-out fee.
- Students who do not check out by December 16, 2022 will be assessed a $100 late check-out fee.
- Belongings left in the room after checkout will be donated or disposed of 7 days after the student checks out.
- If a mail forwarding address is not provided, all USPS first class mail will be returned to sender. Any mail received one month after your move-out date will be automatically returned to sender.
- First class mail does not include bulk mail, periodicals (newspapers, magazines, etc.) or items from private carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.). Make sure to update your address information with banks, periodicals, and online shipping orders to continue receiving mail after you move.
- USPS also provides a forwarding service when you file for a change of address on the USPS website.
- Please remember that NU parking policies remain in effect during move out periods.
- Please observe all signage and policies. Most lots require permits from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on weekdays. Some spaces are reserved 24 hours, and others have parking meters.
- Do not park in fire lanes while moving out.
Please contact your front desk.