Student Health Requirements
Northwestern students who are enrolled full time or half time in on-campus programs must meet University and State of Illinois immunization requirements no later than 30 days after their first term begins. Requirements differ based on program and the student's country of origin.
- Identify your required immunizations and find your immunization form here.
- Gather proof of your immunizations. Make sure the documents include your name.
- Visit https://www-healthy.nuhs.northwestern.edu/login_directory.aspx.
- Enter your 7-digit student ID number
- Select "Immunization Upload" from the list on the left to upload your proof of immunization and your completed program form.
- Check your Northwestern email address for notification of any deficiencies and for confirmation that you’ve met the requirement.
Deadlines by term
Program Type and Term Start
|Fall – Quarter, Semester, and Medical programs (MD, PT and Genetic Counseling)
|Winter - Quarter
|Spring - Quarter or Semester
|Summer - Quarter or Semester
|Transfer students/ off-cycle admits
|30 days after acceptance
Penalties for non-compliance
If you have questions concerning the Student Immunization Form, immunization requirements, immunizations, or related issues, please review the Immunization Requirement Frequently Asked Questions. You can also email email@example.com or call at 847-491-2117.
Student Health Insurance
Northwestern University requires all degree-seeking international students — students holding a J-1 or F-1 U.S. visa — to confirm their annual Northwestern University Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP) enrollment, and maintain coverage in the NU-SHIP, for the entire time they are studying at Northwestern.
International students are encouraged to confirm their NU-SHIP enrollment as soon as possible in the open enrollment period — July 1 through Oct. 1 (for most students) — to ensure they have access to plan benefits and services as soon as the plan year begins on Sept. 1. Login to CAESAR to confirm your NU-SHIP enrollment. Please review the screenshot guide for assistance on how to confirm your enrollment.
Penalties for not fulfilling health requirements include a hold on subsequent registration and a non-refundable $100 late fee.
The NU-SHIP premium will be billed to your student account following your tuition posting.
Student Health Insurance ID Card
Download/print your Student Health Insurance ID Card: It typically takes five business days from when you confirm online in CAESAR or submit a manual enrollment form to the Student Insurance Office, for Aetna to generate your ID card. Please visit www.aetnastudenthealth.com/northwestern, and click on the “Get Your ID Card” to download a copy of your ID card.
Visit the NU-SHIP webpage for full details.
Student Health Insurance Documents and FAQs
- 2022-23 NU-SHIP Pamphlet
- 2022-23 NU-SHIP Plan Design & Benefits Summary
- 2022-23 NU-SHIP Summary of Benefits & Coverage
- 2023-24 NU SHIP Pamphlet
- 2023-24 NU-SHIP Plan Design & Benefits Summary
- 2023-24 NU-SHIP Summary of Benefits & Coverage