Skip to main content

Visas for Spouses and Children

Dependents (husband/wife, and/or unmarried children under the age of 21) of O-1 beneficiaries fall into the O-3 visa category.

Visa Requirements

  • Study: O-3 dependents may attend academic institutions as long as the educational program does not include paid employment (e.g., co-op or research assistantship).
  • Employment: O-3 dependents are not eligible for employment.

Required Documentation

  • Applying for an Overseas O-3: Dependents do not need to file additional documentation. Dependents use O-1 supporting documentation to apply for the O-3 visa and do not receive their own Approval Notices).
  • Extending or changing status: It is the responsibility of the O-1 beneficiary and the O-3 dependent to maintain the O-3 status. The dependent must file Form I-539 to change his/her status in any way, including changing to a different visa category, extending the O-3 end-date, or documenting the beneficiary's change of employer.
  • Travel: When traveling, O-3 dependents should carry with him/her a copy of the O-1 Approval Notice, copy of the O-1 petition most recently submitted to USCIS, as well as any other relevant documents related to O-3 status (Approval Notice, O-3 visa stamp) and a valid passport.

Please review our guidelines and tips for filing the I-539. You may submit this form to the IO for review or you may choose to file it yourself.