Skip to main content

Steps for Incoming Visitors

The process of requesting J-1 Exchange Visitor visa status begins with the host department.

instructions for host departments 

Once the NU department has submitted a complete J-1 request to the OISS, the OISS advisor will issue the Exchange Visitor (EV) a DS-2019, which is used to obtain his/her J-1 visa stamp at the U.S. embassy/consulate outside the U.S.

Instructions for Incoming Exchange Visitors

1. Complete the Exchange Visitor DS-2019 Request

This will be sent to you by your NU department contact. Return the completed form and associated documents (electronic copies are acceptable) so your contact can submit the request to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

2. After the department's request is approved by OISS, you will receive the SEVIS ID number and DS-2019

The Office of International Student and Scholar Services will email you the SEVIS ID number; your department will send the DS-2019 to you via FedEx, UPS, or another courier.

3. Pay the SEVIS Fee

You can pay the SEVIS fee via the SEVIS I-901 Fee Processing website.

4. Obtain the J-1 visa stamp

Once you have the DS-2019 from NU, make an appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate for a visa interview.

If while applying for a J-1 visa stamp, the EV's name is sent for a background check, there is very little the university can do. However, if more than 60 days have passed since the date of application, and no information has been given regarding application status, please contact your OISS Advisor.

Note: Canadian citizens do not require a visa stamp.

5. After arrival on campus, you will need to complete Immigration Check-In

You must check in with the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within five days of arriving on campus.