Skip to main content

H-1B Visa Compliance & Requirements

Maintaining visa status

Address Updates

If you change your residential address, please update this information with USCIS using form AR-11. Information can be found on USCIS website.

For Incoming H-1B Applicants Outside the U.S.

Beneficiaries may enter the U.S. up to 10 days before the start date on his/her H-1B Approval Notice.

H-1B visa holders coming to NU from outside the U.S. need to check-in with the IO before starting employment at NU. To do so, please complete the H-1B Beneficiary Check- In Form and bring your immigration documents including your passport for the IO to photocopy and keep on file.

For H-1B Visa-Holders Seeking Extension

It is important to maintain your H-1B status by applying for an H-1B extension in a timely manner. Please communicate with your current supervisor/department about your H-1B extension and keep the following points in mind to during the extension process:

If you have dependents in the U.S. please remember to file Form I-539 form to extend their H-4 status.

If you are approaching your 5th year in H-1B status, and you intend to apply for Permanent Resident status in the U.S., please begin the process through NU (if eligible) or independently, prior to the start of your 5th year. This will allow extension of H-1B status beyond six years (while pending) for one year at a time.

Travel While in H-1B Status

Please inform your sponsoring department and the IO if you are traveling outside the U.S. during the process. Review the H-1B travel restrictions.

Off-Campus Occasional Lectures

H-1B beneficiary's are eligible to be issued reimbursement for transportation and reasonable incidental expenses incurred while traveling to off-campus lectures but s/he is not approved to be paid a wage, salary or honorarium for these services. Please contact an OISS advisor for more information and for an approval letter.


A Departure Notice is required for the following situations:

  • Completed employment on the approval notice end date
  • Resigned early
  • Dismissed/terminated
  • Obtained a different visa status

Upon completion of Northwestern employment or H-1B status, please submit the H-1B Departure Notice to our office.