Australian National Employees (E-3)
The E-3 specialty occupation visa category is for Australian nationals (AN).
- Visa-holders are skilled workers with a bachelor's degree or higher.
- Visas can be held for an unlimited amount of time. The initial visa and extensions have 2-year increments.
- The OISS only accepts E-3 requests from NU sponsoring departments, which must confirm sponsorship of an E-3 before an AN can apply.
- Dependents of the E-3 beneficiary hold E-3 dependent visa status. Read more on Visas For Spouses and Children.
Types of E-3 Visa Applications
There are several different types of E-3 visas, depending on whether you are a new or current E-3 visa-holder.
Application procedures and checklists
Applying for an Initial E-3 Visa
Initial E-3 applications are for Australian nationals (AN) outside the U.S. and those currently in the U.S. in other visa categories such as F-1, J-1, B1/B2, etc
Amendment procedures and checklists
Extending or Amending an E-3
If you are an E-3 beneficiary who needs to update your status in some way, you will fall into one of the following E-3 types:
- E-3 COE (Change of Employer) are transferring to Northwestern from another institution.
- E-3 EOS (Extension) would like to extend employment end-date
- E-3 Amend hold an E-3 at Northwestern but need to change details such as job title, job description, salary, or hours worked.
Requirements for Maintaining Visa Status