Transfer a SEVIS Record to NU
You must transfer your SEVIS record to Northwestern University if any of the following apply:
- you are currently enrolled in a college, university, or high school in the U.S.;
- you have recently graduated from a college, university, or high school in the U.S.;
- you have completed or are completing a period of Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Academic Training (AT);
- you are currently in valid F-1 or J-1 status, even if you are outside the U.S.
You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again!
Instructions for Transferring SEVIS Record
In order to begin the process to request an immigration document (I-20 or DS2019), admitted international students, including transfer students, must confirm their planned attendance at Northwestern by paying the NU tuition deposit.
Generally, within 2 weeks of paying the NU tuition deposit and setting up NetID & NU email, admitted international students will be granted access to the OISS portal. Upon receiving access to the portal, you will receive a system generated email sent to your NU email address. You will then be able to log in to the OISS Portal with your Net ID and password to request an immigration document.
The system generated email is sent to an admitted student’s Northwestern email address. Therefore, it is essential that newly admitted international students have set up their NU email address and are checking it regularly. Typically, students activate their G-suite account for email as part of the NetID activation process. NU, including OISS, will use your northwestern email address for ALL official communications. For more information, see @u.northwestern.edu Overview on the IT website.
The link included in the email will take you through an easy process to confirm your address and other biographical details, submit financial documentation and request immigration documents for dependents if applicable.
Under the “Immigration Status” tab, select the "Transfer In" button if you are currently an F-1 or J-1 international student in the U.S and need to transfer your SEVIS record to Northwestern University. You will need to provide the name of your current institution, transfer release date for your SEVIS record, and most recent U.S. address.
The OISS will not be able to process your transfer in request and prepare your Form I-20/ DS-2019 until AFTER your current school has transferred your SEVIS record to Northwestern. Please allow 2 – 4 weeks after the date your SEVIS record is received by Northwestern to receive notification that your new I-20 or DS-2019 for study at Northwestern is ready.
- F-1 students will be able to access and print their new I-20 through the OISS Portal.
- J-1 students can either pick up the new DS-2019 in person from the Office of International Students and Scholar Services or they can request and pay for shipping via eShipGlobal.
SEVIS Transfer Deadlines
- F-1 students: within 60 days of the program end date on the I-20 or within 60 days of the OPT end date.
- J-1 students: by the program end date on the DS-2019.