H-1B or E-3 Check Request Process
These instructions are intended for Northwestern department administrators who are supporting an H-1B or E-3 (Australian National) visa petition. Below you will find the steps to request a Northwestern check payment of DHS fees. The OISS requires the checks be requested in the following manner so that the checks can be accurately paired with the H-1B petition to file with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).
- We recommend the NU department request the check at the time of the H-1B (or E-3) submission to the OISS.
- Please refer to OISS Visa Types, Fees and Processing Times for fee table
- Create the check payment request in NU Financials in the "Payment Request Center." There are 4 steps to the process in NU Financials: 1) Summary, 2) Supplier, 3) Invoice Details, and 4) Review and Submit.
STEP 1: Summary1. INVOICE NUMBER field: Please include the following information, in this order
- Beneficiary's last name, first initial
- Type of DHS fee (filing, fraud or premium)
- Year of check
- OISS scholar advisor initials
|Zhang, Q_filing_2022_JM||for $460 check for filing fee|
|Zhang, Q_fraud_2022_JM||for $500 check for fraud fee|
|Zhang, Q_premium_2022_JM||for $2,500 check for premium processing fee|
2. DESCRIPTION field, please note:
DHS check for _______________ (amount and type of fee) for _________ (scholar full name)
3. NOTES/COMMENTS field: "Please intercampus mail directly to OISS (scholar Advisor Initials) at 1902 Sheridan Rd., Evanston IL 60208
4. PAYMENT HANDLING field: Hold in Evanston (code HE)
5. ATTACHMENT: You must include an attachment (see upper left corner). Include the completed H-1B Check Request Form. NOTE: Use the same form for an E-3 check request.
Step 2: Supplier
- Search for Department of Homeland Security in the supplier field
- Select the Laguna Niguel, CA location
Step 3: Accounting Details
- Enter your department and chart string information
- The "Account Code" at the far right of this page is Account Code. Enter 76780 which is assigned to "Int'l Office Visa Process fee"
Step 4: Review and Submit
Review your information and click the "submit" button in the top right corner. If you need to make adjustments, use the "previous" button to go back.