Skip to main content

Visas for Spouses and Children

Bringing Spouses and Family Members

Dependents (husband/wife, and/or unmarried children under the age of 21) of E-3 beneficiaries fall into the E-3 dependent category. When E-3 dependent children reach the age of 21 years old, they will "age out" of the E-3 dependent visa category and will have to obtain their own visa status in an appropriate category.

Activities in E-3 Dependent Status

  • Study: E-3 dependents are eligible for full-time and part-time study.
  • Employment: E-3 dependents are eligible for full or part time employment with an Employment Authorization Document Card (EAD). E-3 dependents must complete the form I-765 for E-3 dependent employment authorization.

Required Documentation

  • Applying for an initial E-3: Dependents do not need to file additional documentation. Dependents use E-3 supporting documentation to apply for the visa and do not receive their own Approval Notices).
  • Extending or changing status: The dependent must file Form I-539 to change his/her status in any way, including changing to a different visa category, extending the E-3 end-date, or documenting the beneficiary's change of employer.

Please review the our guidelines and tips for filing the I-539. You may submit this form to the OISS for review or you may choose to file it yourself.