Steps for Incoming Visitors and Employees
The process of requesting B-1 or WB status begins with the host department. See these host department steps.
After the department's request has been approved, the visitor will need to complete a series of steps.
Instructions for Incoming Short-Term Visitors
1. Apply for B-1 or WB visa status
- Schedule a visa appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country to apply for a B-1 visa stamp.
- Check with the US Embassy or Consulate to verify which documents to present at the appointment. Common required documents:
- OISS approved letter of invitation from Northwestern University department.
- Proof that the visitor has adequate finances to support himself/herself for the duration of stay in the U.S.
WB status in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):
- The visitors passport must be issued by a VWP country and meet the requirements for VWP travel.
- Submit an intent to travel through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).
2. Enter the U.S.
Bring the letter of invitation from the Northwestern.