Skip to main content

Steps for Incoming Visitors and Employees

The process of requesting B-1 or WB status begins with the host department. See these host department steps.

After the department's request has been approved, the visitor will need to complete a series of steps.

Instructions for Incoming Short-Term Visitors

1. Apply for B-1 or WB visa status

B-1 status:

  • Schedule a visa appointment at the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country to apply for a B-1 visa stamp.
  • Check with the US Embassy or Consulate to verify which documents to present at the appointment. Common required documents:
    • OISS approved letter of invitation from Northwestern University department.
    • Proof that the visitor has adequate finances to support himself/herself for the duration of stay in the U.S.

WB status in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

2. Enter the U.S.

Bring the letter of invitation from the Northwestern.