Skip to main content

I-94 Record

Travel in and out of the U.S. is recorded electronically by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) through the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record for all international non-immigrant visitors to the U.S. This important record lists your entry date, port of entry, and visa status in which you were admitted to the U.S. The I-94 record may be required as proof of status for F-1 or J-1 benefits applications, employment verification, and other official purposes.

When you travel through an air or seaport into the U.S., you may or may not  receive an entry stamp in your passport. Your admission information will be recorded in your electronic I-94 record. Students who come through a land border crossing will receive a paper I-94 card. If you receive a paper I-94 card, keep the card stapled in your passport at all times.


How do I access my electronic I-94 record?

After you arrive in the U.S., you should download and save a copy of your electronic I-94 record from the Customs and Border Protection website. It’s important to check that your electronic travel record is accurate and accessible. Keep the I-94 record with your other immigration documents in your electronic files. New students will need to submit the “Most Recent I-94” to complete the OISS check-in upon arrival to Northwestern. 

Below is a photo of the section you will need to select on the CBP I-94 website to request your most recent I-94:
image of "Get most recent I-94 record" on CBP website

What does D/S stand for?

“D/S”, or “duration of status” will appear on the I-94 record for the “Admit Until Date” line. This means that the individual may remain in the United States as long as they are properly maintaining status and their I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) program end date has not passed. Students on F-1 OPT and J-1 Academic Training are also granted “D/S” because they are still on F-1 or J-1 status during those practical training periods.

How can I correct a mistake on my I-94 record?

Sometimes Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers make errors in students’ electronic I-94 records. Some errors, especially those regarding visa type or date of expiration, can impact your immigration status.

How to request a correction to  your I-94 record if there is a mistake:

  • Send an email to
  • Subject line: I-94 correction request
  • Body of message: be sure to include your full name (as listed in your passport) and a clear explanation of the error including date of arrival to U.S. and city/airport of arrival. 
  • Attach images of the following:
    1)  United Sates F-1/J-1 visa page from your passport
    2)  Passport bio/photo page
    3)  Copy of flight itinerary with the airline and flight number for the entry to the U.S. with the error
Please allow 10 business days for this issue to be resolved. If it remains unresolved after 10 days, please contact your OISS advisor for further guidance.
I-94 Website: Travel Records for U.S. Visitors