The process of requesting J-1 Student Intern visa status begins with the host department. Once the NU department has submitted a complete request to the OISS, the OISS advisor will review the documents and will issue the Exchange Visitor (EV) a DS-2019 and DS-7002, which is used to obtain his/her J-1 visa stamp at the U.S. embassy/consulate outside the U.S.
Steps for Host Department
1. Collect required documents.
- Send the Exchange Visitor DS-2019 Request and the J-1 Student Intern Student Supplement to prospective Exchange Visitor (EV) for completion (electronic copies are acceptable). It must be returned to the host department along with associated documents.
- Obtain an approved Visiting Scholar Health Insurance Application (VSHI) OR obtain a waiver of the Visiting Scholar Health Insurance, both through the Office of Risk Management.
- Confirm English Language Proficiency and complete the English Proficiency Attestation, this includes collecting the supporting documents. This is not required for extensions.
- Obtain funding documentation. When submitting bank statements, institutional letters of support or bank letters please use the following guidelines:
- Documents must have been issued within the last 3 months.
- The EV must be named as account holder or recipient of the letter of support.
- The letter must be in English or notarized English translation.
- If the funding information is an institutional letter of support, the dates of coverage and total amount of support must be present.
- Complete the DS-2019 Request and the J-1 Student Intern Department Supplement and obtain required signatures. Collect all documents on the checklist.
2. Scan and email the documents to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.
Complete requests should be emailed as one PDF to EVrequest@northwestern.edu
- Email subject: "LAST NAME, Start Date" (e.g. WILDCAT, 04/01/2013)
- File name: "DS2019Req_LAST NAME, First Name" (e.g. DS2019Req_WILDCAT, Willie)
The request will be forwarded to the appropriate advisor, who will be in contact with the Department and/or the EV with any questions or missing paperwork.
3. The OISS Advisor issues the DS-2019 and DS-7002.
- The OISS advisor will email the student intern, NU faculty supervisor, and department contact. Included in the email will be the SEVIS ID number so that the student intern may make his or her J-1 visa appointment
- The department will pick up the DS-2019 and DS-7002, obtain an original signature from the NU faculty supervisor on the DS-7002, and send the documents to the student intern. We strongly recommend that departments use FedEx, UPS, or another courier service.