Visitor and Dependent Health Insurance
Health Insurance Requirements
The Department of State regulations governing the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program require that all J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents have health insurance coverage that meets the following requirements.
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000;
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
It is your responsibility to monitor that you and your dependents have such insurance while living with you in the US; failure to comply with this regulation could result in the loss of your J-1 status.
Visiting Scholar Health Insurance Plan
- The University self-insures the Plan and the Office of Risk Management provides program and claims administration.
- Visiting scholars/exchange visitors who are paid by Northwestern are eligible for NU benefits.
- Find plan details and learn about enrollment on the Office of Risk Management website.