Visa Compliance and Requirements
While visiting, the B-1 or W-B visitor must abide by the following restrictions:
Visit Length and Purpose
- The visitor is limited to a stay of 90 days or less without extension for the purpose of consultation and/or observation.
- The visitor cannot intend to obtain employment within the US, including a change of status to J-1 or H-1B.
Activities While at Northwestern University
- The visitor cannot displace US workers and will not have a research appointment through Northwestern University.
- The visitor cannot participate in or volunteer services/expertise toward any exercise essential to departmental operations.
- The visitor must be in the presence of a supervisor when observing the use of lab equipment.
- The visitor may not be involved in any patient contact or interact with any research subjects, either directly or indirectly.
- The visitor cannot be paid for services, but may be reimbursed for travel expenses and/or given assistance with accommodations.
Financial Support and Affiliation
- The visitor must have an institutional affiliation in his or her home country or country of residence.
- The visitor must have adequate finances and sufficient health insurance to support himself/herself for the duration of stay.
The department must report any changes/violations related to the visitor’s stay to the IO.