The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISS) only accepts E-3 requests from NU sponsoring departments, so any E-3 application should begin with the E-3 applicant speaking with his or her sponsoring department; once the department has confirmed its sponsorship, the Australian National (AN) can apply.
Petitions can only be started within six months of employment start date. OISS processing times are subject to change based on processing volume.
Steps for Host Department
1. Submit E-3 visa request documents to OISS
The host department is responsible for collecting and submitting the following items to OISS. Please save all documents in one PDF and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- E-3 Department Request Form
- Official University position confirmation, which must cover dates of requested E-3, salary and job title.
- For faculty: faculty appointment letter
- For staff positions: Human Resources offer confirmation letter
- For research staff: research staff appointment
- For postdoctoral fellowships: postdoctoral research appointment
- E-3 Itinerary Letter (See example)
- Credential Evaluation if degree is from overseas
- Passport Bio page
- Any previous immigration documents, such as DS-2019 or I-20
2. OISS and department manage the prevailing wage determination (PWD) and Labor Condition Application (LCA) requirements
- OISS obtains the prevailing wage determination to ensure that the university's wage offer is adequate.
- OISS files a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor.
- OISS emails the LCA notice to the host department, which posts it at a conspicuous place for 10 business days. See posting notice instructions.
- The department then returns LCA to OISS.
3. OISS prepares materials for the E-3's visa application
- OISS prepares E-3 packet for the Australian National to take to U.S. Embassy.
- OISS coordinates with the host department for delivery of the E-3 packet to the E-3 beneficiary.