The OISS only accepts E-3 requests from NU sponsoring departments, so any E-3 application should begin with the E-3 applicant speaking with his or her sponsoring department; once the department has confirmed its sponsorship, the Australian National (AN) can apply.
Petitions can only be started 8 months prior to the employment start date. OISS processing times are subject to change based on processing volume.
Steps for Host Department
1. Submit E-3 visa request documents to OISS
The host department is responsible for collecting and submitting the following items to OISS. Please save all documents in one PDF and send to email@example.com.
- E-3 Department Request Form
- Offer letter, including the E-3's start/end dates, annual salary, and job title
- E-3 Itinerary Letter (please see H1B Itinerary Example for a template that is also applicable to E-3)
- Official University position confirmation, which must cover dates of requested E-3
- For faculty: faculty appointment letter
- For staff positions: Human Resources offer confirmation letter
- For research staff: research staff appointment
- For postdoctoral fellowships: postdoctoral research appointment
- Required documentation from the prospective E-3 beneficiary
- Processing fee checks to DHS must be paid by the department. If the department would like to use Premium Processing, the department must also pay this fee ($2500). All checks must be separate and all are paid to the Department of Homeland Security. See H-1B check request process for detailed instructions. OISS recommends waiting to request the checks from Accounts Payable until the prevailing wage has been determined so that the checks don't expire.
2. OISS and department manage the prevailing wage determination (PWD) and Labor Condition Application (LCA) requirements
The following steps are required:
- OISS obtains the prevailing wage determination to ensure that the university's wage offer is adequate.
- OISS files a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor.
- OISS emails the LCA notice to the host department, which posts it at a conspicuous place for 10 business days. See posting notice instructions.
- The department then returns LCA to OISS.
3. OISS prepares materials for the E-3's visa application
- OISS prepares E-3 packet for the Australian National to take to U.S. Embassy.
- OISS coordinates with the host department for delivery of the E-3 packet to the E-3 beneficiary.