Skip to main content

J-1 Exchange Visitors

J-1 status is used for those coming to NU as visiting researchers, professors, and collaborators. They are called J-1 Exchange Visitors.

The category was created "to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges." -- U.S. Department of State

  • J-1 Exchange Visitors may receive a salary or stipend from various parties. They can receive funding from Northwestern, the government, private organizations, their current place of employment (outside the U.S.), or personal funds but the funding must meet the current living expense requirements. See the Visa Compliance and Restrictions page for a specific figure.
  • The length of a J-1 Exchange Visitor's stay ranges depending on his or her J-1 type; however, the maximum stay is five years.

Types of Exchange Visitors

Within the overall J-1 visa status, there are several different types of visitor:

Each category is used for different purposes and valid for varying lengths of time. 

More on the  J-1 Exchange Visitor types

Next Steps