Undergraduate International Student Orientation
Fall 2023 Undergraduate ISO Dates
September 7, 2023: Arrival and move-in day; airport pick-up shuttles provided this day only. Plan your travel accordingly!
September 8 - 11, 2023: Undergraduate ISO Orientation
About the Event
International Student Orientation (ISO) covers many essential topics to help new undergraduate international students acclimate to life at Northwestern. Social activities will include group meals, local shopping trips, a tour of downtown Chicago and more.
Questions prior to arrival?
Join virtual office hours for new students
Newly admitted students may join virtual office hours with OISS staff to ask questions beginning Friday May 5, 2023.
- These virtual sessions will be offered weekly every Friday from May 5 - August 25, 2023 from 9:00 - 10:00 AM (CT).
- Use this Time Zone Converter tool to convert Illinois time to your current time zone.
- Join the New Student Q & A sessions via Zoom at the schedule time.
- Review the Travel to Northwestern webpage for guidance on local airports and transportation to campus.
- All F-1 and J-1 with an initial I-20 or DS-2019, including transfer students, are permitted to enter the United States 30 days before the program start date listed on their documents.
OISS Shuttle to Evanston Campus - September 7th
OISS will offer shuttle transportation from the Chicago O'Hare International Airport to the Evanston campus on a first come - first serve basis for NEW Fall 2023 undergraduate students (bachelor's level) on Thursday, September 7, 2023 only.
- There will be 3 shuttles departing at approximately 11:00 AM, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM or whenever the shuttle is filled to capacity.
- Meeting Location: Meet Northwestern OISS staff and peer advisors at the McDonald’s in Terminal 5, concourse M, outside the secure areas (after you go through the immigration checkpoint and customs). The OISS representatives will direct you to the shuttle and help you with your luggage.
- See this O’Hare Map for meeting location
- If you arrive on another day or after all shuttles have departed, you will need to arrange your own transportation to campus. See Travel to Northwestern for more information.
Pre-arrival Online Orientation Courses
OISS is pleased to offer two online courses designed to aid new degree seeking international students in their transition and arrival to NU. These online courses are delivered via "Homebase" and are designed to provide important prearrival information to facilitate your arrival to the U.S. and adjustment to Northwestern.
1st Course: Newly Admitted International Student Guide
Follow these steps to create an account and access the “Newly Admitted International Student Guide” through Homebase:
- Create an account with Homebase at https://checkout.english3.com/homebase/register/
- In the “select your institution” box, select Northwestern University on the dropdown menu.
- In the access code box, enter: 3425
- Fill in the rest of the information and set a password to create your account and access the course.
- Be sure to make note of your password so that you can return to log in to this platform and access this guide. There will be an additional pre-arrival guide that will be available in July. You will need to login to this same platform to access the Pre-Arrival Guide.
NOTE: The online coures are intended for all degree-seeking students at Northwestern EXCEPT FOR Master's level and exchange students in the Kellogg School of Management. Kellogg Master's degree level and exchange students will receive information regarding their orientation program and other instructions directly from the Kellogg International team.
2nd Course: Pre-Arrival Guide ( Available in July)
The 2nd course will contain important information on maintaining your immigration status while you are a student at Northwestern University as well as information to help you plan and prepare for travel to the United States and life at Northwestern.