Skip to main content


On-Campus Housing

Information about Northwestern Housing for students is available with Northwestern Residential Services 

Off-Campus Housing 

The university provides various resources through the office of Off-Campus Life to assist members of the Northwestern community in finding housing. See University resources for those seeking off-campus options. 

When applying for an apartment, a landlord may require an application fee and a credit check (which may require a Social Security number or ITIN), as well as proof of income. In addition, when signing a lease, a landlord may also require a deposit (usually equivalent to one month's rent) in addition to the first rent payment on the first day of the lease term. Landlords or apartment companies often ask international students to prove their immigration status and student status with a copy of the student’s I-20 or DS-2019 document. Students can provide copies of these documents when applying for off-campus housing.