Skip to main content

About Student Visas

Visa Options

Learn more about the student visa options, including those for spouses and children of students.

Student Visas

International students at Northwestern use F-1 and J-1 visas. The type used will depend on the student's program type and funding. 

Types of Student Visas

Spouse and Child Visas

An F-1 or J-1 student may bring his or her spouse and children to the U.S. These family members are admitted as F-2 or J-2 dependents.

Types of Dependent Visas

Maintaining F-1 or J-1 Status

Federal regulations require all international students to maintain their F-1 or J-1 status while residing in the U.S.

Learn about Regulations

Visa Changes

Students currently or previously registered at Northwestern may need to change their visa status. Read instructions for extending or reinstating visa status, changing visa statuses and more.