B1/WB Short Term (Visitor) Visas
The process of requesting B-1 or WB status begins with the host department. After the department's request has been approved, the visitor will need to complete a series of steps.
Steps for Host Department
1. Collect required documents.
- Complete the Department B1/WB Request
- Write a Letter of Invitation using the template
- Obtain an approved Visiting Scholar Health Insurance Application (VSHI) OR obtain a waiver of the Visiting Scholar Health Insurance, both through the Office of Risk Management.
- Obtain a copy of the visitor’s passport bio page
2. Scan and email the documents to Office of International Student and Scholar Services.
Complete requests should be emailed as one PDF to EVrequest@northwestern.edu
- Email subject: "B Request: LAST NAME, Start Date" (e.g. B Request: WILDCAT, 04/01/2013)
- File name: "BReq_LAST NAME, First Name" (e.g. BReq_WILDCAT, Willie)
3. An OISS Advisor reviews the request and notifies the department.
- If the request has been approved, or
- if the request has been denied. The advisor will provide other visa options.
4. If approved, the department sends letter of invitation to the visitor.
- View the Steps for Incoming B1/WB Visitors.